• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wood filler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a stock that someone tried to inlet a CVA Hawken patch box into in a very bad way. I want to fill in the area and refinish the stock. Is there anything (wood filler) that wouldn't be glaring obvious that might blend in with the wood? I know it won't be perfect, but I'm trying to figure out how to make it look better. I'd love to completely remove the patch box, but I don't know if a hole that big can be covered up.

There are various brands of "plastic wood" and epoxies that can be used for things like that... some of them come in different colors/shades. Go to any hardware store and just ask. You can also do a process called "marquetry", which is basically cutting and inlaying pieces of veneers to form patterns on your work piece. Seems to me that marquetry would be the way to go after filling in the void where the patch box was. You won't need to worry about the color of the epoxy or plastic wood then.

I have used JB Weld epoxy putty for some things like this with good results over the years. It is less messy than liquid epoxies and as it takes a few minutes to harden, you have time to press it into place. Once set and cured, it machines easily.

Note that marquetry, while simple in concept, is decidedly difficult to do... especially on a three-dimensional curved surface. Get you a set of sharp good quality wood-carving knives/chisels and take your time.

I've never found a practical use for patch boxes myself.

I have never seen wood filler used where it wasn't glaringly apparent. I have never seen it used on a gun. Not knowing how big the gaps are that you are trying to conceal, you might try bees wax and a heat gun. You can even color the wax with pieces of crayon or even some wood stains. Just pour the heat to it, careful not to scorch, and add as much of your bees wax till it will take no more. Gently scrape it a little above the surrounding surface and buff.
Good luck!!!!!
Robby

Jason,
All kidding aside, a hole that size is going to look like a major goober no matter how well you fill it. You will have to cover it some how. Get a patchbox cover, larger than the hole and that you can like, and fit that over the hole. It will be the easiest and cheapest solution…trust me, BTDT!

This is what I have to work with.

Attachments

• 20230214_210245.jpg
    20230214_210245.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230214_210253.jpg
    20230214_210253.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
i would get some wood the thickness of a ribbon and glue it around the entire plate. sand to flush and inlet the plate again. could actually look custom.
This is a good idea especially if you use a different shade of wood. One of the old sayings is if you can't match it, contrast it.

I have a stock that someone tried to inlet a CVA Hawken patch box into in a very bad way. I want to fill in the area and refinish the stock. Is there anything (wood filler) that wouldn't be glaring obvious that might blend in with the wood? I know it won't be perfect, but I'm trying to figure out how to make it look better. I'd love to completely remove the patch box, but I don't know if a hole that big can be covered up.
In my opinion wood filler of any type I am aware of is not the answer, unless you are planing to paint the stock…..

I guess you could try gluing chips or shavings of stock wood (a good source is under the butt plate) to fill the gaps, but just do not see that as a practical solution in this case. Gaps seem just too large, but you could try.

If this stock were presented to me to ‘repair’, I would go with either a purchased or fabricated patch box that covers the current crater once installed. Doesn’t have to be functional, but you could hide that mess. If you have a TOW catalog you can compare their ‘actual size’ photographs to see what may work, or print options from their online catalog (make sure you change your printer settings to actual size, not fit to paper or something like that).

Another option that I have seen, is to make a faux sliding wooden cover and permanently fasten in place. Downside is it likely wouldn’t look correct, plus at some point in the future someone will work diligently to get it to slide open. Have seen this a couple of times.

If none of the above seems appealing, maybe just live with it as is. It’s changed hands once in that condition. Or my initial suggestion if you insist on filling, use something stable like Bondo, then sand and paint the stock. Although this option leaves a potential trap for a future owner when they try to refinish the stock to a non painted finish, assuming a wood stock will be hidden under the paint…..

Last edited:
Back