• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wood filler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would either get a piece of wood only slightly larger than the messed up hole you have an inlet that to fit then use the box you have or look for a larger box. Less work with a larger box. Make sure you have enough scrap wood for stain matching to match your stain on the stock. Aniline dyes will work best to try for a match.

Here is are photos of a stock with chips around the buttplate that I repaired with titebond III and black walnut sawdust. 64Springer suggested it. It isn’t perfect but looks much better. Just be sure the sawdust closely matches the stock finish.
E9D120B9-6963-492B-B9BE-DD0B63F529C1.jpeg
780D07C0-2EBE-4520-841A-02C0ACFFF55F.jpeg

Here is are photos of a stock with chips around the buttplate that I repaired with titebond III and black walnut sawdust. 64Springer suggested it. It isn’t perfect but looks much better. Just be sure the sawdust closely matches the stock finish.
View attachment 198657View attachment 198658
Looks like the butt plates on a couple of Pedersoli shotguns I had to repair. Just re-inlet the plates and didn’t use or require any filler.

Being frugal I would try to salvage the stock before buying another. A bottle of titebond III will cost about $10 and the sawdust can be free or a small board of similar wood won’t be much. Try to make the paste slightly darker than the surrounding wood.

I think I like the idea of covering it up with a bigger patchbox. Probably the. Quickest and easiest solution. I've been looking for a replacement stock, but no luck so far.
The bigger patchbox is probably the quickest,easiest solution. I had another idea though. Inlay a contrasting oval piece of wood and engrave it to look like a presentation gun.

Back