• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How to stripe a ramrod

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have looked online and not found any useful info after trying several different search combos...

So...how do I get a nice dark stripe around my new ramrod?
Hi,
The easiest way that I have done it was to screw a small screw into one end with a string attached the hang from an over head position, then take a typical cotton string soaked in dark walnut stain.
Then wrap the stain soaked string around the ramrod in barber pole fashion, let it set for two hours.( it helps a lot if you can get someone to hold the ram rod while wrapping the string in place )
I hold the string in place by attaching the bottom of the string and ram rod with electric tape.
After two hours remove the string, repeat "IF" necessary. I have never had to repeat staining.
Then seal the whole ram rod with a few coats of wood sealing oil.
Many of my ram rods are still looking good after twenty years.
Some people paint the stain wrap, I find the string wrap more reliable.
You may have to practice the wrapping process once or twice to get it right.
Fred

Last edited:
I just use a butane torch to scorch the ramrod while slowly turning it.

Darren
:thumb: Works for me since the 70's. Grab RR with one hand rotating it with fingers while holding the propane torch in the other. I like a nice black stripe. Wipe the RR to remove any charcoal dust and then apply linseed oil. if ya like shiny, use tung oil.

I've stained several ramrods with a spiral stripe using black plastic electrical tape and a dark, alcohol or water base, walnut stain. (Birchwood Casey Walnut is a water based stain that works very well.)

My method was to first use a razor knife to cut down thru the tape roll to create a long piece of tape that would be about 1/4" to 3/8" wide when I removed it from the roll.

Then with the piece of tape in hand I held it at an angle somewhere between 20 and 40 degrees to the rod and stuck it in place.
Slowly rotating the rod and feeding the tape onto it so that it doesn't wrinkle or twist. The number of turns it takes depends on the starting angle of the tape to the rod.
At this point I go back and firmly press the tape onto the outside of the rod.

Using a small model paint brush that's about 3/16" wide I dip it into the stain and paint the stain onto the exposed wood.
Although the tape will do a pretty good job of protecting the wood it covers, I try to go fairly lightly on the amount of stain I apply right next to the edges of the tape.
It may take several coatings of the stain to get the darkness you want and remember, the color and darkness of the stain only show true while the stain is wet.

Horn-Tip.jpg

This is the rod I made for my .36 caliber, "boys rifle". It has a horn tip on it rather than a metal tip.

Or you can do it like the mt men did; Soak a strip of rawhide in fat, then douse the rawhide strip in gunpowder, wrap it around the ramrod how you want it, then light the strip.

I soaked butcher's string, ( about twice the thickness of kite string ), in a solution of potassium nitrate, ( salt peter ), and as much as will dissolve in water. Wrap the wet string around the ramrod and set aside until dry. Light one end of the string and it will burn a perfect spiral, then dress with 0000 steel wool, then oil with linseed oil...…….robin

Back