• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How to prep stock.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got some ornamental sheet metal from the hardware store that's pretty thin and flexible. They all carry the same selection from KS Precision Metals. One brass 4x10 .010 and one aluminum 4x10 .016. I hope to try them out as a scraper for curved surfaces.
Scrapers need to be steel to hold a proper edge. The best Ihave ever had were made from stove pipe material. You can cut it with good sheetmetal shears to any shape.

Plate glass is plate glass.

Brass and aluminum doesn't make good scrapers any more than good knife blades. You need spring steel with a properly filed, polished, and burnished edge.

Long, smooth flakes driven off of a chunk of obsidian make good scrapers, too, they just don't last very long.

Get and learn to sharpen a scraper. That’s all I use anymore, for a plain working gun. Less dust in my nose and way less expensive.
When I was hot and heavy into building before my divorce and subsequent remarriage 20 years ago, I gave up sandpaper for my scraper, and burnished with a deer antler. Used denatured alcohol to raise grain. No water as it swells the fibers. That said, where could I find another scraper and sharpener? I looked a bit before work and couldn’t find one.
Thanks
Scott

I use card scrapers and scraper planes for woodworking. My favorite card scrapers are my Sandvik, which have not been made for 10-15 years. They were not too cheap, but were worth the money. I've made some from handsaws that work well. Since I rehab and restore old hand tools, I try to sacrifice only more modern saws (plastic or laminated wood handles) to make scraper and arrowhead blanks. Those 100 yo handsaws are just too lovely to break up.

Never tried stovepipe, but certainly worth an experiment. Thanks for that tip.

When I was hot and heavy into building before my divorce and subsequent remarriage 20 years ago, I gave up sandpaper for my scraper, and burnished with a deer antler. Used denatured alcohol to raise grain. No water as it swells the fibers. That said, where could I find another scraper and sharpener? I looked a bit before work and couldn’t find one.
Thanks
Scott
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BQMZ9C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Latest posts

Back