• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

how to clean old equipment

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Many years ago (about 30) I was firing a 58 and casting my own balls. That rifle was lost and the casting equipment was placed in a drawer in my pole barn (i.e.: NOT climate controlled). I recently purchased another 58 and want to cast balls again. What is the best way to clean up the old equipment? I have a single cavity aluminum mold (heavily oxidized), spout type ladle (rusted), and Lyman pot that may have old lead in it. As I recall I was melting plumber's lead and fishing sinkers so I should probably clean the old lead out.

Thanks

Evapo-Rust does a good job on steel.

How corroded is the aluminum? Just discolored or has it turned to the white powder stuff? They make products for aluminum similar to Evapo-Rust, but I have never used them. My high school job was cleaning cars for a local dealership, they had a spray on product for aluminum wheels that done an amazing job cleaning up years of road grime and oxidation. I cannot remember the name of it, it was purchased in gallon jugs and applied with a hand spray bottle, rubber gloves recommended.

When I store my molds long term, I use a spray on liquid that turns to grease. Can be a pain to clean off without the right carburetor cleaner.

Evapo-Rust does a good job on steel.

How corroded is the aluminum? Just discolored or has it turned to the white powder stuff? They make products for aluminum similar to Evapo-Rust, but I have never used them. My high school job was cleaning cars for a local dealership, they had a spray on product for aluminum wheels that done an amazing job cleaning up years of road grime and oxidation. I cannot remember the name of it, it was purchased in gallon jugs and applied with a hand spray bottle, rubber gloves recommended.

When I store my molds long term, I use a spray on liquid that turns to grease. Can be a pain to clean off without the right carburetor cleaner.
There are areas that have turned white.

The aluminum pot is probably OK. And the lead will still be usable. The Lyman pot, however may be beyond repair or use. I had one in uncontrolled climate controlled storage for several years. When I took it out it was rusted completely and was no more than junk.

Fire up the lead pot and melt whatever is in it, the ladel I would get a wire brush disc type that fits in a drill and clean it then wipe it down with some lard, the mould blocks stiff bristle brush ( I have some that look like big tooth brushes, one has steel bristles and one has brass bristles) some warm soapy water and scrub the blocks first, it might clean up O.K. if not go to the auto store and buy cleaner made for aluminun car rims and finish the blocks that way.

Fire up the lead pot and melt whatever is in it, the ladel I would get a wire brush disc type that fits in a drill and clean it then wipe it down with some lard, the mould blocks stiff bristle brush ( I have some that look like big tooth brushes, one has steel bristles and one has brass bristles) some warm soapy water and scrub the blocks first, it might clean up O.K. if not go to the auto store and buy cleaner made for aluminun car rims and finish the blocks that way.
Thanks for the advise. I have some of the same brushes. Won't the steel and/or brass bristles score the aluminum bullet cavity and round the edges so there is a more pronounced mold line? I have a spout type ladle, rather than spoon. How do I get well up inside the ladle? I think I can use a .22 rifle brush to get up inside the spout.

I wouldn’t be overly worried about rust on the ladle it it isn’t loose chunks. Just fill with lead and pour melted lead back into the pot a few times. Flux the pot and start making balls. The rust likely won’t effect the pour and will stay adhered to the ladle.

Back