• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How sharp does a tomahawk need to be

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is for throwing at events only. Not likely going to chop wood or anything.

I bought a plain jane one with n charpening what so ever on it.

I got 3 feet of snow here in NY. One missed throw and it's a goner until march. So, I don't know how it performs.

You dont have to shave with it, and the dull edge from the factory will stick. I like to sharpen it to a point I can cut slivers off a board with it. Sharb cuts in eaiser and so is easier to stick.

Many moons ago, I was going to use "Dull Hawk" as my moniker. But decided it would have given the impression of being worthless! :haha:

My loving Son, the resident Hawk Toss pro,, would (prior to the competition) use a stone to sharpen his hawk till it sliced paper.

to throw at a stump I would want it pretty sharp 'cause as mentioned, "sharp sticks better".

to chop kindlin' or dispatch a pesky Indian i'd want to be able to shave with it :thumbsup: .

At some Hawk tossing contests, You have to CUT a Playing Card. A dull `Hawk , especially if the Hawk Block is kinda Punky. will just fold the Card instead of cutting It. Sharpen that baby up !!!

It should be sharp like a knife but keep in mind that the angle of the edge is much different than that of a knife. It's more like a chisel but still need to be sharp. Don't be afraid of using a file on it as the metal is so much thicker you aren't going to ruin it. I have used a course stone on mine but it really doesn't need such a fine edge, a file will do.

I will be the voice of dissent here. I've never thrown my cheap throwing tomahawk at anything other than a soft, half-rotted pine round that's been outside for months or longer, whether at our local shoots or at the one that hangs in my backyard for practice. It always sticks in the wood, and the playing cards don't prevent that either. Since its only job is to be thrown and stick in soft wood, it seems unnecessary to me to sharpen it to a razor edge capable of splitting hairs. If it was a tomahawk that ever got used for anything else, I'd keep it as sharp as the ones I use for real work.

As with most things, people recommend doing what works best for your particular needs. (I don't sharpen my "butter knives") :wink:

SligoBill said:
I will be the voice of dissent here. I've never thrown my cheap throwing tomahawk at anything other than a soft, half-rotted pine round that's been outside for months or longer, whether at our local shoots or at the one that hangs in my backyard for practice. It always sticks in the wood, and the playing cards don't prevent that either. Since its only job is to be thrown and stick in soft wood, it seems unnecessary to me to sharpen it to a razor edge capable of splitting hairs. If it was a tomahawk that ever got used for anything else, I'd keep it as sharp as the ones I use for real work.

My throwin hawks are not shavin sharp but I keep them sharp enough to stick in a hard block. The hawk I carry on the other hand is shavin sharp. It has tool steel forge welded in the edge which is harder than the body of the hawk and will take and hold an edge.

00small19506441.JPG

I always keep mine 'shavin' sharp, just in case a game of 'handles' breaks out after the shootin is done!

Haven't thrown a hawk. but have chopped and split a whole lot of wood. I would think that an angled edge would be better than a wedge edge for a hawk....easier to pull out because it didn't penetrate as deep. Both types of edges should be sharp.....Fred

Back