• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How old are ya?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Im always curious about the average age here.

• 0 to 30

Votes: 19 3.8%
  • 30 to 50

Votes: 73 14.5%
  • 50 to 60

Votes: 86 17.1%
  • 60 to 70

Votes: 161 31.9%
  • 70+

Votes: 165 32.7%

• Total voters
I'll fit right in! I have 3 children. Them damn kids! Okay now your turn 🤣

My brother was an old fart in his late 20's. He always wanted to be a crabby old guy. He finally got his wish, and he is old and worn out (by his own foolishness) and is suffering from cancer, breathing problems, untreated diabetes, serious heart trouble (at least two heart surgeries that I know of), etc., etc., etc. He also committed several serious crimes over the years. He was hoping to stay alive until his birthday in February. I haven't heard anything, so apparently, he is still above ground. The takeaway is it is never too early to get a start on pre-mature old fart pessimism.

82, been shooting BP for over 60 years. Was a history re-enactor for over 30 of these years. My persona: Two Elks, living with the Crow durng the winters beginning 1820, a free trapper, came to New York from Scotland, heard about the money to be made trapping beaver and headed West. Killed 2 Elk with one shot by accident (actual truth) and hence the name given by the Crow. Lots of adventures in Montana and Colorado.

46 years old here. I think I was in my mid teens when I got my first BP rifle.

Who's the oldest?
I'm a tender 63
I am a tender 91 next month. Just finished two knives, bought three more BP rifles. Working on badly adjusted set triggers on another. Scheduled to preach, March 12th, at the church we attend. Still driving without incident [600 mile trip recently]. I am enjoying life a lot. Always have some projects in the mill guys, it keeps you young. Dale 🦨 [Polecat]

I bet the average age here is north of 60.

For fun:

How many of those years have you been shooting muzzleloaders?
I am 72 now and bought and fired my first muzzleloader in 1969 when I was 19-years old. I specifically wanted to buy an 1860 Army Revolver, but the Hardware store was sold out of it and they talked me into buying a Caplock Pedersoli Kentucky pistol, which I called my buccaneer gun!

I shot it most often on my Grandfather's ranch and was able to hit ground squirrels with it. Since it is a 1-shot muzzle loader, I could often kill a number of squirrels from their holes around the base of trees before moving on to find another bunch of them. It took me a while to load it and ground squirrels, being the curious animals that they are, will often poke their head out of their hole or stand up at the entrance of it if you give a short whistle.

They won't respond right away if you whistle immediately after killing one of their buddies, but if I took my time loading my Kentucky Pistol before whistling, they would often pop up to see what it was. So it was shoot one, load, whistle, shoot another one. Unfortunately ground squirrels are not good eating plus Grandpa would poison them every 3-years, so we never tried to eat them.

Barely 68. Started buying the Dixie Gun Works catalog at about 15. Bought my first BP gun in '82... Uberti '51 Navy Colt with German silver guard & grip frame marked "Allen Firearms, Santa Fe NM". Shot it a bunch at first, then occasionally thru the years.
Just coming back around to it with my recent acquisition of a Uberti Hawken marked "Allen Firearms, Santa Fe NM". Impatiently waiting for a cleaning rod to show up so I can shoot it.
I joined here so I could find a rifle. I found it, and a whole bunch of knowledge. Thanks!
I wish I hadn't thrown away those older Dixie catalogs. There was some really interesting things in them!

Last edited:
The world, as it exist today and given its current direction, will no doubt breathe a sigh of relief when the vast majority of the members here are dead. We are an anachronism and I’m very proud of it.
Yep, according to the new generation of spoiled brats, everything that's wrong in the world nowadays is older peoples fault.

Latest posts

Back