• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How many other places are like this?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hhughh

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Just looked over the Mississippi (state, that is) Hunting Regs, and they don't even have a ML/BP season. What they have is a "primitive weapons" season. Any single-shot, exposed hammer rifle is legal, cartridge weapons, BP or that "smoky-less" stuff, are allowed. In other words, a single-shot .30-06 is perfectly legal. Does this type of "limited" season exist anywhere else?

Was just curious. Thanks a lot.

Hugh--him what would rather pack a firelock year 'round.

missippissi regs said:
manufactured prior to 1900, and replicas

so i don't think a T/C contender w/16" barrel or there single shot rifle will make the cut.............bob

so i don't think a T/C contender w/16" barrel or there single shot rifle will make the cut.............bob
Yeah, but an H&R 1871 Handi-Rifle in .270 Win would be perfectly legal.

oooopppps :redface: you are absolutely right.

How about the H&R 1871 Handi-Rifle in 45/70 then.

I used the handi-rifle 45/70 last year to take a deer during the primitive weapon season. It just didn't feel right after all was said and done. This year I will be toting my hawken again.

Before the cheatlines came out scopes weren't allowed. When cheatlines came out they weren't allowed. Now look at'em. :cursing: :cursing: :cursing:

The last time I was there(1978) you were allowed a deer a day for 60 days. You could use dogs too. They used a half hound and Airdale. I asked Gamme Warens wife how many she killed, she said about 3. One Ohio deer would make two of theirs, small. We was their in may to run our Foxhounds, the first meal was allways Deer. Dilly

Boar-dilly said:
One Ohio deer would make two of theirs, small. We was their in may to run our Foxhounds, the first meal was allways Deer. Dilly
Depends on what part of the state you're in. Deer around here are on the small side. Further north where I grew up 300 pounders aren't unheard of. Lotta soybean fields up there.

rebel727 said:
Boar-dilly said:
One Ohio deer would make two of theirs, small. We was their in may to run our Foxhounds, the first meal was allways Deer. Dilly
Depends on what part of the state you're in. Deer around here are on the small side. Further north where I grew up 300 pounders aren't unheard of. Lotta soybean fields up there.

Oh heck yes, as you get into Michigan's U. P. its not uncommon to see a thirty point buck that will easily go 300 pounds. Ask any one who's from the U. P. and he will tell you its the truth.
Jeff

blacksmithshoppe said:
rebel727 said:
As many as anywhere else. We even have does that get racks.
Now there's something, a doe with a nice rack.
[url] http://www.buckmasters.com/Bu...ic_Buckmasters/articles/Appearances.html[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
:hmm: how does a guy in PA shoot a deer with velvet still on the antlers....when bow season opens there done with velvet unless he wasn't in PA :v ...............bob

white buffalo said:
:hmm: how does a guy in PA shoot a deer with velvet still on the antlers....when bow season opens there done with velvet unless he wasn't in PA :v ...............bob

It's an antlered doe, a genetic defect. Some of them never go out of velvet.

I helped a guy drag out a deer last year during a primative weapons hunt on a WMA up here in north Mississippi. He had shot it with a scoped Handi rifle shooting a .50 S&W bullet.

Latest posts

Back