• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How many offhand shots before back pain?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before this thread I thought I was the only one that had back problems. Since participating here I have read that there are a bunch of us that have similar problems and that my trouble is not nearly as severe as some who have responded. Matter of fact most responders are worse off than I am with the back trouble. I think I'll just thank God that I don't have the trouble that some of us here have and deal with what I have without feeling sorry for myself. Comparatively I don't have it that bad and I thank those here that have shown me that.

ALTERNATIVE CONSIDERATION TO NARCOTIC MEDS FOR PAIN;
As mentioned earlier I'm 79 & docs have had me on heavy doses of Norco & Tramadol for many years to manage severe pain from back injuries & failed surgeries. Over the past 4-5 years our politicians have restricted our doc's prescription amount to these pain meds because drug addicts also use them for recreation.
Now we've been put in the same boat as addicts & are required to have drug testing even though our medical histories show no abuse of these meds.

*Three months ago after much research I made the very difficult decision to switch overnight from the above meds to KRATOM for pain relief.
Even though research said this instant switch was possible I was very skeptical but I was able to quit Norco & Tramadol cold turkey overnight with zero side effects.
Should you decide to research Kratom you'll find that it has three strains & is related to the Coffee plant & has been used for hundreds of years for pain relief, reduce stress & have found that the 'red' strain is very effective in aiding in sleep at night.
Another positive is I believe Kratom's anti-inflammatory properties that are processed through the digestive system has also benefited my chronic Crohns symptoms !!
My personal results;
I have found pain relief with Kratom to be 'equal' to the Norco & Tramadol but not stronger concerning pinched spinal nerves. Perhaps it's a vanity or pride thing but taking control of my pain meds away from Big Pharma & their political puppets has been nice !
Surprisingly, telling 'some' of my docs about Kratom was not a surprise & was told a few other patients have done the same.

Big Pharma via the American Medical Assn. has made numerous attempts to ban Kratom, however The World Health Association has prevented this action on the basis that Kratom's long history shows it's been proven effective worldwide with minimal negative side effects.
Hope my possible overkill on info helps some of you enough to make shooting more enjoyable..
relic shooter

It is also a little unsettling, myself being 60 - it's a glimpse of things to come.

That really depends on a number of things- genetics, diet, conditioning, misspent youth 😁, injuries... In my case, relatives either live till their mid to late 90s in relatively good health or they self destruct in their late 40s to mid 50s and I haven't self destructed yet regardless of how much I've tried, so that is a fair indicator. My current problems can all be traced back to a bullet in my spine and sports/work injuries. These days I try to not be as hard on the original equipment to make it last in as trouble free manner possible. So no more craziness like mountain climbing, high impact sports, distance running and being a "he man" at work.

I'm 70 years old and in pretty good shape. I lift weights 3 times a week, something I've done for over 40 years. Most of my range sessions are 20-24 shots all offhand, and by the end of the session my back usually feels pretty tired but no big deal.

Yesterday I was doing some testing with two of my rifles and shot more than usual, taking 16 shots with each rifle. Towards the end my back started feeling tired but by the last shot is was feeling more painful than just tired. I hurt just walking up to retrieve my targets, but felt better in a few hours, enough that I was able to do my normal squat routine that evening.

I'm curious about how shooting offhand affects your back, especially maybe some guys who are my age or older. I guess it sort of raised the question of when will the time come that I'm restricted to bench shooting.
I suffer from the same condition, and attribute it to too many birthday candles.

Big Pharma via the American Medical Assn. has made numerous attempts to ban Kratom, however The World Health Association has prevented this action on the basis that Kratom's long history shows it's been proven effective worldwide with minimal negative side effects.

Whatever else may be said about Kratom -- and I won't dispute any of your personal observations about it -- I cannot find any instance in which the AMA has made any attempts to "ban" Kratom. Nor can I find anywhere that the WHO "prevented this action".

The FDA has pursued classifying Kratom as a Schedule I substance -- primarily on the grounds of its mechanism of action (which is quite similar to an opioid) and concerns about addiction, substance purity, side effects, etc. And there are genuine concerns here. Rather than the WHO (the dependability of which is always questionable in any event) attempting to "prevent" anything, it in fact pursued a "pre-review" of Kratom that could have been a preliminary to classifying it as a controlled substance. In Dec. of 2021, WHO announced that it would not be recommending a further "critical review". But this doesn't prevent the FDA (or the AMA, or anyone else) from doing anything. However you feel, it's good to get the facts straight.

Actually, Big Pharma would like nothing better (don't ask me how I know) than to be able to produce a commercial Kratom product. There's HUGE money in producing a commercial drug of this sort -- with careful production processes and strictly controlled outcomes in terms of dosage and purity so that doctors can be sure of what they're prescribing and patients can be sure of what they're getting (and how it may interact with other drugs they're taking).

There's a lot of confusion and dispute about Kratom. Right now, as with many "natural substances", it's the Wild West. And people can use it at their own risk. It's definitely promising, but I'd be really careful in taking it -- and trying to determine and monitor a uniform dosage and potential side effects and drug interactions.

So far this thread has been about back aches. How about the other "old man problem"? I try and keep a restroom handy and nearby. I spend alot of my time running to the restrooms.How do you older "trekkers" manage?

I thought they'd removed mine several years ago. They got the cancer with radiation but left the prostate.Now it's becoming a problem again. But I'm thankful for the Doctor making the cancer "go away".I'm not in pain but just more discomfort then I care to be in.

Whatever else may be said about Kratom -- and I won't dispute any of your personal observations about it -- I cannot find any instance in which the AMA has made any attempts to "ban" Kratom. Nor can I find anywhere that the WHO "prevented this action".

The FDA has pursued classifying Kratom as a Schedule I substance -- primarily on the grounds of its mechanism of action (which is quite similar to an opioid) and concerns about addiction, substance purity, side effects, etc. And there are genuine concerns here. Rather than the WHO (the dependability of which is always questionable in any event) attempting to "prevent" anything, it in fact pursued a "pre-review" of Kratom that could have been a preliminary to classifying it as a controlled substance. In Dec. of 2021, WHO announced that it would not be recommending a further "critical review". But this doesn't prevent the FDA (or the AMA, or anyone else) from doing anything. However you feel, it's good to get the facts straight.

Actually, Big Pharma would like nothing better (don't ask me how I know) than to be able to produce a commercial Kratom product. There's HUGE money in producing a commercial drug of this sort -- with careful production processes and strictly controlled outcomes in terms of dosage and purity so that doctors can be sure of what they're prescribing and patients can be sure of what they're getting (and how it may interact with other drugs they're taking).

There's a lot of confusion and dispute about Kratom. Right now, as with many "natural substances", it's the Wild West. And people can use it at their own risk. It's definitely promising, but I'd be really careful in taking it -- and trying to determine and monitor a uniform dosage and potential side effects and drug interactions.
As with most forums there are often those inviting hairsplitting debates.
I offered this as a non-narcotic pain relief option & will stick with my statements & encourage that anyone considering use of Kratom do their own research & obtain advice from their doctors before using as Kratom should not be used in combination with an opioid. Enough said from my end,, period.

So far this thread has been about back aches. How about the other "old man problem"? I try and keep a restroom handy and nearby. I spend alot of my time running to the restrooms.How do you older "trekkers" manage?

While I don't have any specific prostate issues that I know of I do certainly feel the need to urinate more often than I did when I was younger. I always drain the tank before I leave the house even if I don't feel like I really have to go at the time, and I generally find out where the bathrooms are in places I visit not long after I get there.

I am often the only one at the club range when I shoot and since it's rural and outdoors there are unlimited places to relieve bladder pressure.

I'm alright when sitting but a few seconds after I stand or walk I get the urge "to go" even if I just went 4-5 minutes ago. It's really a terrible feeling!

We need geriatric equipped shooting ranges with porta-pottys & walkers at each station. :ThankYou:
The range belonging to the prison that I used to work at has finally put in porta-pottys but still has yet to put in hand washing facilities. I guess it don't matter, I can't use anymore anyway.I was told that my State ID is no longer a working ID, it's a souvenir.

Latest posts

Back