• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

How many offhand shots before back pain?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm 70 years old and in pretty good shape. I lift weights 3 times a week, something I've done for over 40 years. Most of my range sessions are 20-24 shots all offhand, and by the end of the session my back usually feels pretty tired but no big deal.

Yesterday I was doing some testing with two of my rifles and shot more than usual, taking 16 shots with each rifle. Towards the end my back started feeling tired but by the last shot is was feeling more painful than just tired. I hurt just walking up to retrieve my targets, but felt better in a few hours, enough that I was able to do my normal squat routine that evening.

I'm curious about how shooting offhand affects your back, especially maybe some guys who are my age or older. I guess it sort of raised the question of when will the time come that I'm restricted to bench shooting.
I can shoot about 20 to 25 offhand shots before my groups start to open up. My back doesn’t hurt, my arms get tired and it’s just harder to squeeze the shot and keep my groups small

Mushka , Have you gone to chiropractor yet , with your sore back. ?? You might be surprised the help he can give ya. My 81 yr. old huntin' buddy and I have abandoned our heavy longrifles for a couple .50 cal. light weight 6 lb. scratch built rifles. Everything can be done helps old guys. Don't quit !!! The amazing American Medical system was allowed to go to manure during the Chinese BS virus. Now we have hours of waiting for minimal care. $80 an hour Rent-A-Nurses now man the hospitals , where the previous experienced staff has left. The newbee nurses , mostly under 30 , have no skin in the game and minimal care is what's the result. My wife , is a retired nurse , and we try to take care of ourselves , best we can. Best to ya. ...oldwood

Two chiropractic experiences very disappointing. My lady friend is a retired nurse and takes as good care of me that I will allow. My wife before she passed a long time ago was a nurse. I like nurses, too bad they ran all the good smart ones off with unreasonable demands.

At 78 I'll bet that I have more metal in my body than most new cars. I cut my smoothbore barrel down to 36" and bought a new precarve stock in an attempt to reduce the weight. I can probably do 15 off hand shots before my back and metal shoulder starts to give me trouble. Who knew metal joints could hurt! At this point after letting the docs try to help me, when the pain gets severe I do a Vicoden and 2 fingers of Burbon.

While excess weight is not always the cause of back pain and other ailments, I wonder how many with here with back problems have a BMI significantly greater than 25? It’s not always about the best drug, although in many instances the correct meds may be the only answer. But what about those of us carrying those extra pounds. And for those of that think it has little impact, carry 4 gallon jugs of water around all day, maybe hook a few to your belt. Only 8.3 pounds a piece, or 24.9 pounds. What’s an extra 25 pounds to a grown man or woman? Carrying 25 pounds around 24/7 shouldn’t have any impact on one’s back or the ability to shoot all day like one used to, because many of us carry that or more without any concern. Just ‘food’ for thought.

One back pain not mentioned yet. That I recently experienced. I had a few episodes over a week or so of a flash, hot, pain in my back. Thinking I pinched a nerve. Stopped whatever I was doing and sat down and it quickly went away.

But then last week, after supper, I went downstairs to the ham radio shack. Was tuning around and was suddenly hit with terrible pain down my left side. Nausea, cold sweat. Spent a horrible night. Cold sweats went away when I managed to throw up for the first time in 22 years. Started taking ibuprofen on an empty stomach the next day, as I could barely drink anything and could not eat. I had by this point figured out I had a kidney stone.

Fourth morning I had the wife take me to the ER. Two stones, a 5mm and a 7mm. 15% chance of passing without assistance. I have a kidney stent and I am taking Flowmax. They ain't done with me yet. Still have to do another CT scan and remove the stent. Hopefully no more of those.

I'll be 65 in a few days. First time I ever had this happen and the pain was the worst I ever experienced.

At 72, everything hurts or doesn't work. Were I a smart geezer, I'd practice just holding a rifle in the offhand position every morning to build up those muscles and joints. But I'm not, so I read forums, drink coffee, and .....miss targets a lot more often than I used to.
I'm with you!

GUYS.......Pain , while using a m/l gun is just another challenge. Do what you have to do to enjoy our sport. Pain is pain , think about it, .......... 1990 , this happened to me.......You are 2 miles back in the woods from the truck, with a heavy body , dead 7 point at your feet . It's 9 am , 60 deg. F. You carry an empty 8 # rifle and start the drag.. At 3 pm back at the truck , while loading the kill into the vehicle , you see all the hair is gone from the under side of the buck. Though a difficult drag , the victory is sweet. That one cost me $68 for 2 trips at the chiropractor , to get my neck, spine , and shoulders fixed. Weather going to the range , or whatever it takes to shoot our favorite m/l gun , it's still worth it.........I'm 75 now , don't stop enjoying our sport.....oldwood

Got in to see my GP today and he wrote me for an MRI and perscribed gabepentin 3X daily and meloxicam once daily to help me to survive til Aug. 8th for the pain Dr. Some days have been miserable so I hope they lighten up some tomorrow. Couple of other stressful things happened in the last couple of days which probably didn't help with the attitude,. They too are taken care of so life around here should improve. I've missed the last two Sundays shooting because of the sciata trouble I hope to miss no more Sunday shoots.

Mushka...................I didn't realize the trouble I was in when my Rheumatologist told me , my adrenal glands left town ,with out me. Have to live life w/o adrenaline. Besides the fight or flight response , It keeps your muscles from "healing " the tissue together , so much , each time you try to move , you have to weigh the pain against the desire to do what needs done. No pain if you sit still and don't move muscles. Yea , that's quite a pain in the torso , w/o a handful of pills including 4000 mg. Tylenol , twice a day. Ya takes yer pills , and soldier on.

Back