• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How many carry non PC or HC knives......

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HC knives are ok but not what I'm into. For a camp I usually just have a regular Kbar and a hand ax and the sak Huntsman. When hunting large animals A fixed blade of about four to six inches and a single blade pocket knife. Rabbits and other small critters a pocket knife. Knives are kept in a small back pack with other stuff when hunting the big stuff..

When I'm at my kids houses and someone needs to cut open a package or something and asks if anyone has a knife and there are two or three of us old-timers around it seems we all reach in our pocket and pull out a pocket knife of some sort. None of the younger folks carry one.
When I had to put my dad in a nursing home due to his general condition they didn’t want a resident with a knife. But my dad felt naked without one. We did get him a little folding pen knife. One short one and a half inch blade. With his hands as they were I doubt he could even open it. But he was happy knowing it was there in his pocket.
I have mine out dozens of times a day, can’t imagine not having a pocket knife.

HC knives are ok but not what I'm into. For a camp I usually just have a regular Kbar and a hand ax and the sak Huntsman. When hunting large animals A fixed blade of about four to six inches and a single blade pocket knife. Rabbits and other small critters a pocket knife. Knives are kept in a small back pack with other stuff when hunting the big stuff..
A hunt isn’t an HC event that you have to pass muster for, but I can’t see a job in the woods my nearly hc knifes and my belt axe couldn’t as well as modern stuff in the tall timber.

I have and carry HC knives and hatchets but for specific tasks like butchering a deer I use the best possible tool available, and for butchering deer, for me, it’s a Randall Sergeant’s and a Havalon Baracuda. And an HC belt ax. I’ve done dozens HC but some things, some times, get the old modern treatment.

Here's my every day knife as you can tell from the sheath. Getting ready to make a new sheath for it.

Knife1.jpg

Knife2.jpg

My two favorites are “inspired by”, but definitely not HC. I really like thin blades as I have no desire to split firewood with my 4” hunting knife
I have the same knife blade as your maple handled knife. One of my first projects when I got in to the sport putting a handle on a blade. That was in ‘76. I called it My Little Friend. It’s my favorite knife. If I was in a survival situation and could only have one knife, that would be it.

I'm getting to like the Condor mini or short Kephart, I don't rember the exact name for it. It's the length of a pocket knife but wider. The only thing I'd change is the sheath. A case three-bladed stockman with chrom moly stee blades is a dandy. The SAK Tinker model is another favorite.

Oops I never finished this post. This is my urban survival knife that is the only one of my forged knives that I always carry. It cuts hay bales, Cheese, and opens beverage bottles. Even though it's a blacksmith knife, I don't think it fits in as historic knifeView attachment 49737View attachment 49742View attachment 49741...tippit
I'v been making blacksmith knives for a while but never thought to use the handle as a pocket clip. Great Idea. I don't like kydex so I'll make a leather sheath. Thanks for sharing.

Oops I never finished this post. This is my urban survival knife that is the only one of my forged knives that I always carry. It cuts hay bales, Cheese, and opens beverage bottles. Even though it's a blacksmith knife, I don't think it fits in as historic knifeView attachment 49737View attachment 49742View attachment 49741...tippit
just don't tell everyone it has a design to open bottles then let em prove it ain't a historic type forged blade. 😁😂😁😂😆😂😁🤣

One of them is. Two of them isn't.

My wife's uncle made the "backwoods" knife. The folder I tote in my pocket regularly, and the fixed blade Case is my patch knife and has a special place on my shooting bag.

I don't worry too much about HC in the hunting woods. I also don't have a pile of HC accoutrement to tote around either. Except for my bag. And my gun. And the powder in the gun....

...And this lamp and this paddlegame.

...and this ashtray.

Attachments

• 20201201_232958.jpg
    20201201_232958.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 99
One of them is. Two of them isn't.

My wife's uncle made the "backwoods" knife. The folder I tote in my pocket regularly, and the fixed blade Case is my patch knife and has a special place on my shooting bag.

I don't worry too much about HC in the hunting woods. I also don't have a pile of HC accoutrement to tote around either. Except for my bag. And my gun. And the powder in the gun....

...And this lamp and this paddlegame.

...and this ashtray.
Is that Old Timer a 1940T?

Kinda depends on what you mean when you write "How Many Carry non PC or HC Knives..." , eh?

Because none of my hunting knives are hand forged, so they are all "wrong", depending on one's standards for PC/HC

I carry a reworked, Swedish Mora brand knife, from what is called a "classic Mora", that is carbon steel, as my patch knife, and it works great for field dressing deer,

and I have a slightly smaller hand made neck knife that really isn't of a proper pattern (which being worn by me as such isn't HC from the docs that I've read), but it's a handy little knife, also good for field dressing deer OR more importantly dressing and skinning a squirrel. It was made from 1095 carbon steel stock....

I also carry a 1095 carbon steel modern knife remade into a trade knife, but when I redid it I put the pins in the wrong spot, and the next ones that I make will have proper looking handles. ;)

ALL get a very sharp edge and can easily shave off the hair on my arm...,🙂

I get my factory knives from here : Classic Mora Knives for Sale but with COVID I don't know how available they are. I changed the handle and ditched the plastic sheath. Not all Mora knives are carbon steel so you have to read descriptions, and some have plastic handles.

LD
If you can tell by sight a blade was forged, it will also tell you it was poorly done, unless it in such a style that it could not have made otherwise.

Back