• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How hot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian45662

45 Cal.
Reaction score
at what temp. or setting do you guys melt your lead? I think mine is made by lee and just has numbers. Can it get to hot?

Buy a thermometer for your casting pot. Don't guess. Those numbers on the dial are only guesses. Most pure lead is cast at about 700 degrees F. It melts at about 650 degrees F. With lee molds, you need to leave the mold block resting on the top edge of the pot to heat it sufficiently before pouring lead into it, to avoid rinkles, and air pockets. You want the pour hole as close to your spout as possible when you pour, so the lead is NOT traveling through much air before it reaches the mold. If you are using a ladle to transfer lead from the pot to the mold, remember that the ladle also has to be kept very hot so that the lead does not cool down before entering the mold. I lay my ladle right on the molten lead, or put it in it. When its hot enough, he lead will flow off the metal parts like water off a duck's back. I put the mold as close to the edge of the pot as I can, then lift the ladle out of the lead, and pour the molten lead into the mold over the pot. Any spills or drips go back into the pot. If I can, I actually put the bottom of the mold block on the top edge of the pot, so that heat from convection is heating my mold up as it is about to receive molten lead.

Yes. I think 650 to 690º F is the range. My electric furnace is 0-10 also, so I'm not exactly sure. I leave it at about "7". Too hot can cause frosting. Too cold voids and wrinkles. I pour and count to 20, then dump. You don't want the mould getting too hot or cool, either.

Could a fella on a budget melt and cast without one of those fancy electric furnaces? Say I wanted to fire up the Weber Kettle and melt 'er down in there????

I cast bullets for years on a Coleman stove outside in the back yard. All you need is a cast iron pot and a ladle. Other items that are handy is a couple of egg crates to keep the balls while they are cooling, the paper type not the plastic. You will also need a heavy pair of gloves, eye protection, long sleeve shirt and wear long pants, shoes and socks. I learned the hard way about wearing sandals and shorts when some lead spatters landed on my bare skin.

Many Klatch

Good to know. A $300 furnace for casting balls in just simply isn't in the budget now or in the future.

I took the thermostat out of mine and pitched it. I cast pistol, 45-70, 40-65, .30 cal rifle and many balls. Also have used the coleman stove.

I use a single burner buffet range I bought about 30 years ago and a 5 lbs. Lyman pot of the same vintage. I turn it up all the way to melt. As soon as it is melted I cut it back to 3/4 of the dial. Can't tell you want temprature it is but it makes nice smooth, shiney balls with only a few culls.

That sounds about right for me. I adhere to the philosophy of "Good Enough." I don't need a gun and bullets that can shoot better than I could possibly hope to do in the field. If I can figure out how to throw conicals that will hold 3 inch groups at 100 yards cheaply, I'll be in tall cotton.

You can get the Lee pots on e-bay fairley cheap, or from Cabela's or Sportsmans Wherehouse for around $70.00. You do not need the high dollart pots. The inexpensive Lee pots work really well, and they have a two year warrantee. I have had mine for three years, and have melted appx 200 pounds of lead in it, and it still works like new.

I cast at 750-780 degrees. All of my moulds are iron and seem to prefer that range of heat. I wouldn't go over 800 degrees. At 800 and above toxic gasses will start comming out of the lead.
John [url] southwestaccuracy.citymax.com[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 10 pound Lee melting pot that works fine.
No, I don't trust the 0-10 sittings so I do have a thermometer and a small dipper.

I notice that TOTW has these melting pots starting at about $30 and the dipper is about $3.50
TOTW LEAD MELTING POTS

kevthebassman said:
Could a fella on a budget melt and cast without one of those fancy electric furnaces? Say I wanted to fire up the Weber Kettle and melt 'er down in there????

That's a big "yes". Eliaphet Stumpkiller didn't plug in to run balls on the 30 yard line of the War of 1812. :haha:

I get free lead that is nasty and cast ingots using cast iron "plumber's pot" on a Coleman stove. With a dipper there's no reason I couldn't just run ball right from the pot.

I've seen guys do it on oak ashes with a bag mold and a big ladle. It's 17th/18th century technology and doesn't have to be fancy.

kevthebassman said:
I've been casting bullets since a pre-teen. T'was my Dad's life long hobby. I personally don't care for electric furnaces. I've found that I have much better control on lead and mold temps using a gas heat source and steele single cavity molds. Also I don't get no air-pockets(voids) in my balls. This I can only constantly do using a pot and ladle.(That's a whole other post)
casting003.jpg

Old propane stove and an equally old cast iron frying pan when I'm at home. On the trail, where I actually do most of my casting, it's a folding ladle and a bag mould. Seems that anymore, I tend to head out to camps with my shot bag nearly empty of balls, but with mould, ladle, an a couple of bars of lead in my pack. It's easy and fun to sit around the campfire, BS'ing with my buddies, and casting up roundball for the weekend.

Back