• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How Few Members Are There in The NMLRA Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alden

Cannon
Reaction score
Used to be a few hundred people from each state on average. Anyone know what it is these days?

Posted in the December 2013 Muzzle Blasts: 15,666 as of October 3, 2013. That is a worldwide listing. Hope this help.

Sheesh, I remember when it was almost double that. 50% attrition. Probably due to the number of members deceased and not replaced over the past 30 years.

Each year at the Fall Shoot the NMLRA honors the deceased members with the reading of the Last Relay. This year Susie Szynalski read the names of 110 NMLRA members.

I am a member who attends the shoots. I would guess the new members are not keeping up with the passed members. We are doing a good job in the Primitive Range bringing in young shooters. I love seeing all these kids at the awards ceremony. But the ratio is not even.

I'm a member and have been for a few years now. I have been to Friendship 3 times. I think everyone who shoots traditional style muzzleloaders should go there at least once. If not to Friendship some other NMLRA organized event. I don't expect anything special in return for belonging to the organization. But it's good to know that there is an organization trying to keep our sport alive. :v I have never really paid any attention to the squabbles with in the organization, it would be great if everyone could just get along. If nothing else, just for the good of the sport.

The Generation of Joiner of Group, Associations, and Fraternal Organizations, has been replaced with Individuals doing their own thing.

Disable American Veterans, Veterans of Foreign War, The American Legion, the Moose, The Elks, Lion Clubs, and other group of this type are having difficulty attracting member, and if they do get new member. Few will pitch in and help with anything.

Our Local American Legion Post has way over 500 Members, but when there is work to be done it is always the same 15-30 Members who help. The DAV is the same with over 300 Member, but the same 15-20 who will do anything.

Ask their Veterans why they belong to these VSO's it is to go to the Hall or Meeting Room, and drink cheap at the BAR, and get the help of a Service Officer when it is needed.

The decline in NMLRA Membership numbers did not happen in 2013, it has been happening for years. But little or nothing was done to promote the Organization, and (2) Membership Drive I recall where the NMLRA offer a FREE LIFETIME MEMBERSHIP (9 for 99 & 2 for 2000) accomplished not a lot in building the rank of the organization.

So the NMLRA is in the same boat as Veterans Service Groups, Fraternal Organizations, Service Groups, and other group trying to attract members, when people are not joining like they once did.

Not aimed at anyone...

As long as the current members of an organization (club, association, etc.) are satisfied with the state of things, does it really matter how many members they have? As long as the bills are getting paid, how important is it to increase membership?

In every organization I've ever belonged to, ten percent of the members do ninety percent of the work. There are leaders and there are followers - That's life.

Obviously, it depends on whether the organization's focus is it's members, or if their focus is changing public opinion, then numbers may matter. If the focus is only pleasing the members, then numbers are irrelevant.

Went to Friendship couple years ago to the spring shoot..10 hr drive
Just had to see what it was all about..
Had to join to shoot..They took my money with a smile.
Did not get a warm fuzzy there..I was dissapointed.
Would recomend for a first timer go with someone who's been there.
Now I use my membership fee and give it to the local club that does mentor new shooters.

I think that the BOD should go shoot in a discipline at Friendship that they normally do not, one that no one knows them and do it just as a regular joe, not letting anyone know you are on the BOD.

You will meet some very nice people, but you will also meet some very unfriendly ones.

I don't belong to the NRA because I go use their range. I belong because I believe in what they are doing.

If I lived closer to Friendship, I would without a doubt be much more active as a member.

Fleener

Does Claude let you shoot on his range?

Does Claude let you order powder and pick it up on his range?

If Claude charged you $40 to practice your typing skills would you pay him?

Please can things go back to the OP.

Had to join to shoot..They took my money with a smile.
Did not get a warm fuzzy there..I was dissapointed.

Who let's a person shoot in a sanctioned match who is not a member?

Pay and shoot, put on the big boy diapers.

Who is hugged at the first match they attend by the locals? You are a stranger, an outsider, learn to fit in, kind of like high school, no group hugs the first day for a stranger

I was there to shoot for fun.....
Just relaying what I experienced that day.
If this is what competitive shooting is like..No Thanks... no wonder its hard to recruit new members....all reasons not to return.
Do not need Friendship to buy powder or shoot.
Really enjoyed the vendors..that made my trip.
The CLA show will appreciate my nickles this next year.

Richard Eames said:
Does Claude let you shoot on his range?

Does Claude let you order powder and pick it up on his range?

If Claude charged you $40 to practice your typing skills would you pay him?
No, but the education members receive here is free. :grin:

If you want to shoot at any official sanctioned match by almost any organization, you have to be a member. But you can always use the introductory membership (one time).
If you just shot for fun, I guess you were shooting the wrong matches or at the wrong range.
If you want to have fun, the primitive range, the woodswalk and the running boar range are the places to go. Offhand range is not bad either. Gun builders hall is always a highlight. Haven't been to most other ranges to shoot.
At any official match at a record shoot, there are serious competitors. I can't understand why grown men always need to feel welcomed and appreciated.
At friendship there is a heck of a shooting program offered. One can not shoot all matches in the shooting time even if you would have all the guns and equipment to shoot them all.
I agree that the way the shoot program is communicated needs to change to make it easier to get oriented.

Latest posts

Back