• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How do you store Black Powder at home?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerem0621

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Simple question.

So far I leave it (obviously) in its tin and in the bottom cabinet of my gun cabinet.

Is there a better way to store black powder at home? Or is the cabinet method fine?

Thanks!

Think along the lines of if it did catch fire what is it close to and how many pounds? I keep most of mine in a locked file cabinet in my shop that is 50 yards or so from my house. I do have a few pounds in the basement near my reloading bench. If they cook off it will not be good but I don't think that in its self would be life threatening
Snapper

I store it in the bottom drawers of the fridge.
It's a constant climate all year round. Just make sure the caps are tight on the cans. My fixed ammo is in there too. I don't know how safe it all would be in a fire, but I figure it's much better than open storage in a cabinet.

John

jerem0621 said:
Simple question.

So far I leave it (obviously) in its tin and in the bottom cabinet of my gun cabinet.

Is there a better way to store black powder at home? Or is the cabinet method fine?

Thanks!

I keep some in the gun cabnet and the bulk is in the "gun closet" a small doored closet full of shelves.

I store all my black powder (except what is in my horn) in a sealed and locked fire safe rated at 2 hours at 1800 degrees, buried in a pit in the lowest part of the basement so that the lid is at ground level and everything else is underground completely surrounded by dry dirt. The lid is then covered by two 1-inch thick plywood sheets for added heat resistance from the top.
powderstorage.jpg

If you want even better fire proofing use dry wall for your lid instead of plywood

Snapper

When I worked for a builder 3/4 inch plywood was used around the chimney as a fire stop, so 2 inches should be good too. just make sure its not too heavy or fastened, or it will be a really good cannon if it goes off. Dry wall might be better as it will break apart easier, I had'nt thought of that. :thumbsup:

Did you sink a fire proof floor safe or build it from scratch! It looks like a good idea It really wouldn't have to be huge to hold 25 pounds. Geo. T.

In the cans in the cardboard shipping containers it came in and in the closet in the guest bedroom. The doors are louvered and it's a ranch house so nothing is above it.

Horns and flasks all over.

25 lbs of propane on the back deck will make a bigger boom and that's in a metal container. ;-)

Attached two car garage with potentially 30 gallons of gasoline plus another 10 in cans for mowers and chainsaws.

Spray paint cans in the cellar with flammable propellant. Several soldering torch refill bottles. Maybe six gallons of nitromethane model engine fuel. Spam cans full of smokeless powder ammo and a good bunch of nitro powder and primers.

Up to 550 gallons or so of fuel oil under the living room.

Couple boxes of strike anywhere matches in trhe kitchen and near the woodstove.

Methane producing dog.

Why worry? We're a frikin Roman Candle even without the blackpowder.

Whoa!
I was already to come over and stay all night in your spare bed without a worry until you mentioned the Methane producing dog.

Chances that all of that explosive stuff will go off without warning is slim to none but I've had methane producing dogs myself and I know what a hazard they can be!

The only way I knew that the deadly gas was on its way is Max would open his eye and look at me with an expression on his face that said, "I wonder if he heard that?"

Geo T said:
Did you sink a fire proof floor safe or build it from scratch! It looks like a good idea It really wouldn't have to be huge to hold 25 pounds. Geo. T.

I bought a commercial fire safe and had my teenage son dig the hole. :haha:

To Stumpkillers point....our houses, even ones of stone or brick are full of nice dried wood. Kindling needed to start a fire. I have asked this same question and the number one thing was don't keep it under lock. Its a bomb. If anything happens my neighbors are going to be po'd! (Live in a condo) :doh:

I got 15 lbs or so in the cabinet out in the garage. Worst case scenario I get a new garage. Which I need one. :idunno:

In all honesty, how many houses catch on fire where you live every 5 years?

The data for the average home catching on fire each year is remote, worry about the Mayan calendar, or Y2K, odds are better than them happening is better than B/P exploding under your bed.

Latest posts

Back