• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How do you eat them

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love grits. Being from the south, I always have them in my cupboard. Butter, salt and pepper. Milk and sugar are a Yankee thing. Oatmeal though, YUK!! Feels like snot on my mouth to me. Could never get past that. Semper Fi.
I was born and raised in New Jersey but many years ago I spent some time with the wife's relatives in North Carolina. They were country folk and I fell in love with the southern breakfast. Gritts with red eye gravy drop biscuits with cuntry bacon and eggs with rice and butter and of course plenty of black coffee. I think I will go make some now.

There’s soooo many ways to doctor up grits. I’d say it’s very likely that if someone tried grits and said they didn’t like them, it was because they tried them plain. Ya gotta doctor them up. Some way. Some how.

I’ve taken to putting a spoonful of pecan flour (just fine ground pecans) with a spoon of turbanado sugar, a dash of salt and a pat of butter in my morning grits. Excellent!

Shrimp and grits is a purdy good lunch or dinner, but I don’t think I’d want that for breakfast.

And when I had scrapple in a couple of diners in Jersey when visiting kin folk way back when, I liked it.

There’s soooo many ways to doctor up grits. I’d say it’s very likely that if someone tried grits and said they didn’t like them, it was because they tried them plain. Ya gotta doctor them up. Some way. Some how.

I’ve taken to putting a spoonful of pecan flour (just fine ground pecans) with a spoon of turbanado sugar, a dash of salt and a pat of butter in my morning grits. Excellent!

Shrimp and grits is a purdy good lunch or dinner, but I don’t think I’d want that for breakfast.

And when I had scrapple in a couple of diners in Jersey when visiting kin folk way back when, I liked it.
You are right I've seen grits fixed a lot of ways and I like them with bacon bits or just butter and black pepper with my breakfast

I guess you could use freshly made grits but I make extra and refrigerate the left overs in about a 1/2” thick layer in a pan. Slice the cold grits into squares and dip in flour. Fry In bacon drippings (or heart friendly oil) till brown. I like carmelized onions and jalapeños with mine
That sounds like corn meal mush. Mmmmgood.

I was raised in Md & Hominy & grits were both served pretty regularly in our house while growin up. My mother is German & she’d make them with milk, butter & sugar ( which we all loved ). My grandma bein from Wva mostly made Hominy for supper fried in bacon grease with salt & pepper. We all liked that too. In my early 30’s was my first of many trips to Manteo on Roanoke Island where I had the most amazing shrimp & grits in the world. I was some kinda hooked & nearly 30yrs later that’s still my fav way to have grits.
Hominy sounds real good, I like mine fried in butter with onions and a couple of fried pork chops laying next to them.

mmull56:
FANTASTIC...minus that sunny side up egg. I like to stick with over easy. I avoid the ptomaine/salmonella possibility? When I see these "Chefs?" drop a half raw egg on top of everything they serve these days in the name of Chic dining, I want to puke! Again... just MY opinion.
God bless:
Two Feathers
I used to be a Sunnyside up guy but not since I left my Mother's house, she always basted them in bacon grease, she hated snotted eggs.

Southern cooking would be my reason, I am from Cleveland, Ohio but I sure miss my Tennessee Mamaw's biscuits and my Aunt Ruth's cast iron skillet cornbread mixed in with my glass of cold milk.
Yep corn bread in cold milk is one of my most favorite things. Not buttermilk though, just plain milk fer me.

After a difficult divorce I worked my full time computer job and two part time bartending jobs. When I closed the bar at 2AM Sunday mornings took a split of champagne with me to the diner. Champagne, steak and eggs was my reward for the week. Did not want any grits.
My choice interested the ladies and that was fun too.

My last wife was from Mt Airy, NC, and she loved cheese and grits! I made her shrimp and grits with fresh shrimp down at Hatteras, NC. She liked those somewhat, but after Trump was elected, she seemed to lose her love for grits! Never could figure it! Shortly after that, she seemed to lose her love for me! Seems that I was a toxic male!! Shoot, I'm a sweetheart!! 😁

You are right I've seen grits fixed a lot of ways and I like them with bacon bits or just butter and black pepper with my breakfast
I'm of the opinion that any time that you must 'doctor' something to make it palatable, you shouldn't be eating it in the first place. Grits ae nothing more than boiled cornmeal (cornmeal mush) which in itself began as a Depression Era meal. Every time I visited 'The South' and was served grits. I made the server remove them, because they're disgusting. It's like oysters in Louisiana. they must be 'doctored with hot sauce and such before they can be eaten, because they too, are disgusting. Not a 'picky' eater, either. In Viet-Nam. ate monkey, cooked over an open fire. It's just, slimy and nasty won't go into my mouth.

Back