• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How do you eat them

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With me it's just that they were cheap enough to get in bulk to feed a large household. When that's all that gets put in front you, you eat but you grow to hate them
Absolutely, I love prime rib & lobster tail, but set that in front of me 3 times a day for months on end & see how fast I'd push them out of the way for a PB&J or tunafish sammich. And I don't even like either one.

Fried squirrel and gravy the gravy gets poured over grits. a great combination.
I grew up eating my grandma's fried skeewhirrel in white pan gravy over mashed taters. My mother made it as well as other relatives, but grandma's cookin was always my fav. We usually ate whole Hominy either European style - with a little milk, butter sugar & S&P ( my mother ) or Appalachian style - fried in bacon grease, from my grandma, but rarely ever ate grits until I was an adult.
Fried Skeewhirrel with pan gravy over grits does sound interesting, good even. It will never replace my fav - shrimp & grits, but I'm gonna try that.

I tried grits once. I was delivering a load down south and stopped for breakfast. I ordered ham and eggs, in NJ it would come with home fries. The waitress put my order in front of me and I saw this serving of white mush on my plate. I asked what it was and she replied grits. Well I decided to try them before I commented on them, as I was taught growing up. After tasting them I asked the waitress for a small go box. She asked why I would want to take them with me? I replied being it's winter if my truck gets stuck on some ice the grits would give me traction! She wasn't amused.

Butter, salt, honey. Sometimes I use smoked Carolina reaper salt. In a bowl next to a plate of either sausage or bacon, fresh eggs from my australorps or Olive eggers, sourdough skillet toast. Bucket of coffee. Right next to my little wife and giant puppy. Life is good in the woods...

I am not a big fan of grits but I do eat them if that is what you get on the plate. Butter and some salt and pepper works for me. But then butter and some sweetener might be even better though. I never thought about trying that before.

I had grits for breakfast this morning
My wife got up a little later and asked what I had. She usually chooses something different
But she thought grits sounded real good
So I made hers.
Mine, grits a little butter, some cheese, pepper flakes and ground hot pepper
Her
Grits, butter,sugar and milk
Do you like your grits savory or sweet?
I pretty much eat grits or oatmeal for breakfast all year long. Half and half and sugar is my go to way of choice

I put a little butter and maple syrup on them. That is the only way I learned how to eat them as they were served everyday for breakfast when I was in the army in Louisiana ....

Back