• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How do I clean my Balls?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only problem with oxidesed balls is the white lead oxide will rub off on your hands. Just remember to wash your hands and you will have no problems.

Wow, with the digression of this thread,, two posters have earned the lead box with me.
I've never had the idea that this family forum would provide or accommodate the vulgar humor of a 12yr old boy with links and photo's.
It's a sad thing to see.

Wow, with the digression of this thread,, two posters have earned the lead box with me.
I've never had the idea that this family forum would provide or accommodate the vulgar humor of a 12yr old boy with links and photo's.
It's a sad thing to see.
I humbly apologize. I did not mean to offend you or anyone with my attempt at gutter humor. I have deleted my post from this thread. Please forgive my lack of judgment .

Does anyone powder coat their cast lead balls? I know it isn’t pc, but it would definitely stop oxidation and also make them safer to handle…
(Cast lead in my garage and handled lead without gloves for years.. lead test remained the same Over the years, was tested 4 or 5 times over a 10 year period)

Everyone who uses Barricade touts it as the best protectant. Why not hose the balls down with that and leave them to dry? wouldn't that do the trick?

I put freshly cast balls in a jar, spray them with a little WD40, and they stay shiny for a long, long time. I think the shiny ones are more accurate:ghostly: (not really!)

I wonder why the shot companies coat lead with graphite? Is it perhaps to prevent oxidation or maybe for good flow? I know the difference is tiny balls vs. large balls, but if coating with graphite worked it wouldn’t collect contamination on them like an oil product would.

Latest posts

Back