• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Houston, we have a problem!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Brooks

Cannon
Reaction score
ooops.jpg

Patches? We don' need no steenking patches!

Old German guns will often have patches in the butt...generally for knot holes.

slivers.jpg

I hope you got a good deal on that one. I'm sure the patches will look fine and just "right". A friend has an early original American rifle with a huge patch of the entire toe. Seems the stock blank split or something so the maker just added a big chunk of wood, affixed to the lower part of the stock with big dowels running all the way out the top of the comb.

Where they live? If so better start checking everything! :shocked2:
If they weren't live and they haven't destroyed structural intergurityof the stock. I'd fill it and tell them look at the character of this piece I selected for your stock! :wink:

You probably already know this, but the original Austrian rifle Eric Kettenburg has up on his website shows patches fixing exactly that problem in exactly that place. Is that a piece of European Walnut?

Tried to link to Eric's site, but the computer wouldn't do it. Don't know if the site is really down, or if my computer is acting strange again - it has been rather erratic today.

EK's new website simply won't work for me. It's REALLY slow to load. So much so that it basically doesn't load at all. I don't know if it's because he is using Mac or what. I come across a lot of pages that are slow for me to load, but so far, few as bad as this. :hmm:

:hatsoff: I agree with Jerry, Find like wood and make some saw dust/glue then fill(make sure all the critters are dead first) sand and stain-- I really believe this project can be salvaged
DBJ

I built a gun for myself that had wood with wormholes in it. I got the wood cheap so I went with it, but then I knew the wood had the holes before I started and I wasn't trying to sell this to anyone. The gun's name is Arrakis (named after the planet in the book "Dune" with all the huge worm.

I filled the holes with epoxy and sanding dust. It adds character, and hardly anybody notices anymore after 25 years of patina.

Many Klatch

Back