• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hopkins & Allen The Minuteman Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John V.

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone ever had or experienced the Hopkins & Allen Minuteman flintlock Rifle? I know they are a production rifle made in the 70's that's all I really know about them? Are they good,bad ,ugly? How would they "stack up" against say ...a Pedersoli brand flint? I have a chance to maybe buy a used one but know nothing about their history and/or quality? Appreciate any input. Thanks

My experience with the H&A "minuteman" rifle is that they were relative low quality Spanish made locks and barrels. While the barrel could be made to shoot accurately with experimentation, the lock was nearly junk (bad geometry, soft frizzen, lots of internal friction) The two-piece stock with grain that did not match up between the forearm and butt stock didn't help with my opinion of it. If you can get the lock to spark reliably, it would make an OK reenactor "beater"gun where the HC police will allow its use.No comparison whatever between a Pedersoli flint lock and this!

mine had a 1 piece stock
barrel was just fine
frizzen had to be soled
worked fine and accurate
often think I should of kept instead of trading off

I bought an H&A "Minuteman" .45 flintlock back in the late 1960s. I wish I'd kept it. It had a nice, moderately figured, one piece stock, patchbox all brass mounts. The barrel was a fine 39" blued straight one and accuracy left nothing to be desired. The lock was reliable and trustworthy.

Don't know about later offerings but at that time they were quite good.

when i started in muzleloading. age 18. my first one was an h and a underhammer. however I did look at the minuteman nd it was a well made gun. it had a ONE PC. STOCK. they all did. don't know where the 2 pc came in. it was to high for me. 59 bucks as to 39 for the underhammer.

My experience was like Hanshi...mine was from the mid-60's and about the only flintlock "Kentucky" we could get at that time in south Texas. I grew up on Disney's 'Davy Crockett' every Sunday night. Back then there was a lot of talk about how 'Ole Betsy' had to be electrically fired because flint locks just didn't work reliably. That didn't sound right, even to a youngster. The old Minuteman proved it was baloney! :wink: :haha:

Based on his description of the rifle, I am sure Curator was thinking of the CVA Kentucky rifle.

After getting into my "Way Back Machine" and digging out my old 1980 Dixie Gunworks catalog, I find the Numrich Arms (Hopkins & Allen) Minuteman has a one piece, full length piece of wood for the stock.

Here is the catalog description:

"THE MINUTEMAN MUZZLE LOADING RIFLE: From Numrich Arms comes this 54" overall Kentucky Rifle with a blued 40" barrel in .36 caliber. Available in flint only. Expertly rifled as all Numrich barrels are. Brass furniture. Maple stock with plain trigger and patchbox. Open sights. Not available with double set triggers.
Guaranteed or money back refund. The true bore size of the .36 is a .347 land to land. Order Mould in size .340 to fit. Shipping wt. 15 lbs.
CFT02 .36 Cal. Minuteman
Flint Rifle.......$249.95"

I'm pretty sure the rifle was offered in earlier years in .45 caliber (although Numrich also made some .44 caliber barrels as I recall.)

That $250 price puts it the higher cost gun range.

The Navy Arms Kentucky was going for $175. The TC Hawken was around $200. The TC Renegade was $175 in flint and a Connecticut Valley Arms (CVA) Kentucky that Curator was describing was $112.95

Zonie said:
Based on his description of the rifle, I am sure Curator was thinking of the CVA Kentucky rifle.

After getting into my "Way Back Machine" and digging out my old 1980 Dixie Gunworks catalog, I find the Numrich Arms (Hopkins & Allen) Minuteman has a one piece, full length piece of wood for the stock.

Here is the catalog description:

"THE MINUTEMAN MUZZLE LOADING RIFLE: From Numrich Arms comes this 54" overall Kentucky Rifle with a blued 40" barrel in .36 caliber. Available in flint only. Expertly rifled as all Numrich barrels are. Brass furniture. Maple stock with plain trigger and patchbox. Open sights. Not available with double set triggers.
Guaranteed or money back refund. The true bore size of the .36 is a .347 land to land. Order Mould in size .340 to fit. Shipping wt. 15 lbs.
CFT02 .36 Cal. Minuteman
Flint Rifle.......$249.95"

I'm pretty sure the rifle was offered in earlier years in .45 caliber (although Numrich also made some .44 caliber barrels as I recall.)

That $250 price puts it the higher cost gun range.

The Navy Arms Kentucky was going for $175. The TC Hawken was around $200. The TC Renegade was $175 in flint and a Connecticut Valley Arms (CVA) Kentucky that Curator was describing was $112.95

So do you know were they made in the USA VS Spain?

I doubt they or any part of them was made in Spain.

I am sure the barrel was made in the USA by Numrich and I suspect all of the other parts were made in the US as well.

Here is a partial copy of a post made by a guy who calls himself John Stimson. It was made on another web site.

"The Numrich Gun Parts Corp black powder rifles are pedestrian guns made after the fashion of some guns from 125 years or more earlier and are not replicas of any specific makes or models.

The earliest magazine advertising was in July 1961 and included only a single round barrel model, a .45 caliber under hammer rifle with no fore stock but with ramrod and ferrules for $44.50 and was not a named model as were later Numrich guns. The buyer also received in the kit a .45 cal bullet mold, a quarter pound of black powder in a flask , a powder measure, a ramrod and instructions.

By December 1961 they were advertising a "New" Off-Hand Model in .45 caliber with an octagonal barrel. That rifle and kit listed at 53.50. In June 1962 they added .36 caliber as an option for the Off-Hand and introduced a .36 or .45 caliber Boot Pistol which was also an under hammer design.

A December 1966 ad shows the first side lock model the Minuteman in .36 or .45 caliber with Gain or Uniform twist rifling, and in flintlock or percussion. $149.50.

The Deer Stalker model appeared in an August 1968 advertisement as a .58 caliber under hammer model with wooden fore hand. However in a press release in Shooting Times Magazine dated March 1969 it was announces that the Deer Stalker would be available for early Fall delivery.

A May 1969 ad shows the .45 caliber percussion side lock turn barrel rifle $139.95

A July 1970 advertisement shows a Minute Man Rifle kit $99.50. Other kits follow.

An August 1971 advertisement shows a Pennsylvania half Stock rifle Kit in .45 caliber flint or percussion.
....."

Apparently, some parts are still available from Numrich.
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/hopkins-allen/muzzleloading-rifles/minuteman-2

Last edited by a moderator:
Not too long ago, I picked up a Hopkins and Allen "Kentucky rifle". I believe it is just a cheaper version of the Minuteman. It does have a two piece stock and no patchbox. The barrel is also shorter at 34" instead of 39" . It is listed in the back of "Black Powder Gun Digest 3rd ed." as a Model 7000 Short Rifle. It's the one not painted black.
I've only had it out once but it seemed to spark okay and out of eight shots I had no misfires. It grouped okay but I still need to spend some more time to see how accurate I can get with it. For a price comparison, I paid $235 for both rifles.

Zonie said:
I doubt they or any part of them was made in Spain.

I am sure the barrel was made in the USA by Numrich and I suspect all of the other parts were made in the US as well.

Here is a partial copy of a post made by a guy who calls himself John Stimson. It was made on another web site.

"The Numrich Gun Parts Corp black powder rifles are pedestrian guns made after the fashion of some guns from 125 years or more earlier and are not replicas of any specific makes or models.

The earliest magazine advertising was in July 1961 and included only a single round barrel model, a .45 caliber under hammer rifle with no fore stock but with ramrod and ferrules for $44.50 and was not a named model as were later Numrich guns. The buyer also received in the kit a .45 cal bullet mold, a quarter pound of black powder in a flask , a powder measure, a ramrod and instructions.

By December 1961 they were advertising a "New" Off-Hand Model in .45 caliber with an octagonal barrel. That rifle and kit listed at 53.50. In June 1962 they added .36 caliber as an option for the Off-Hand and introduced a .36 or .45 caliber Boot Pistol which was also an under hammer design.

A December 1966 ad shows the first side lock model the Minuteman in .36 or .45 caliber with Gain or Uniform twist rifling, and in flintlock or percussion. $149.50.

The Deer Stalker model appeared in an August 1968 advertisement as a .58 caliber under hammer model with wooden fore hand. However in a press release in Shooting Times Magazine dated March 1969 it was announces that the Deer Stalker would be available for early Fall delivery.

A May 1969 ad shows the .45 caliber percussion side lock turn barrel rifle $139.95

A July 1970 advertisement shows a Minute Man Rifle kit $99.50. Other kits follow.

An August 1971 advertisement shows a Pennsylvania half Stock rifle Kit in .45 caliber flint or percussion.
....."

Apparently, some parts are still available from Numrich.
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-m...llen/muzzleloading-rifles/minuteman-2[/quote]

Thanks Zonie, That is some fascinating information. I like the fact they were made in USA. Which is a rare thing. The one I am entertaining also has what looks like brass inlays up the side of the stock? I forgot to look and see if these brass inlays are infact barrel wedges? I may call the guy and ask him? After all of your and others information I am now intrigued.

This was my first flint rifle that I bought as a kit from Dixie in 1972 for $99.95. It was a .36 with a 15/16", 39 1/16" barrel. The gun was very heavy. I thought that I wanted a smaller bore as I had just started shooting a Zouve .58 with the NSSA. I modified the gun later by slimming the fore stock, replacing all thimbles, replacing mainspring, adding a touch hole liner, and replacing hammer. (The one on it was plain ugly). I had to resole the frizzen as the lock was extremely poor.
I learned a lot about flinters with that gun. It shot well with a .340 PRB with 40 gr. fffg. Sold it years later at a gun show. Looking for some old photos, I will upload them if I can find them.

I have one it is a one piece maple stock with some tiger striping. mine is .45 cal. very accurate with a .440 ball .018 patch and 50 gr of 3f. I would put it on a par or better with any of the other flintlocks made today.

simonbeans said:
This was my first flint rifle that I bought as a kit from Dixie in 1972 for $99.95. It was a .36 with a 15/16", 39 1/16" barrel. The gun was very heavy. I thought that I wanted a smaller bore as I had just started shooting a Zouve .58 with the NSSA. I modified the gun later by slimming the fore stock, replacing all thimbles, replacing mainspring, adding a touch hole liner, and replacing hammer. (The one on it was plain ugly). I had to resole the frizzen as the lock was extremely poor.
I learned a lot about flinters with that gun. It shot well with a .340 PRB with 40 gr. fffg. Sold it years later at a gun show. Looking for some old photos, I will upload them if I can find them.
https://postimg.org/gallery/kz7q92na/

I apologize for photo quality. They were taken from projected slides that my buddy and I used to produce a slide/tape program for a college class back in the 1970s.
The gun was fun and as I said I learned a lot about flintlocks with this, my first. If you can get it for $200 + or -, you would be fine.

I sold H&A rifles and kits from my shop in the '70s. IMHO, they were good, basic products. The Numrich barrels were excellent and capable of winning against the high dollar competition on the market. The locks were capable of being tuned to work OK. But they were not the best, just functional and needed TLC to be consistent. I like the H&A products because of the breech plug design. Just a big hex nut that could be bottomed by any beginner builder. Safe and sturdy. Prices of H&A products made them very popular.

I do highly agree on the quality of those H&A barrels. Both of mine were phenomenal. My underhammer has gain twist rifling but the MM had standard rifling.

Latest posts

Back