• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hooked Breeches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanChamberlain

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Thinking of my next project. Wanting to make it a little more difficult than the Pedersoli Kit I just completed.

I want a rifle, but I really love the "Fowler" style. TOW has a "Fowler" but a barrel option is rifled in .54, octagon to round. Another option offered with this style is hooked breech with barrel wedges vs pinned and the info indicates this was period correct if not often seen.

I know that an octagon to round profile would be a tad light for a "target" gun, but as an "aging" hunter, I prefer my hunting guns to "carry well" and I'm not recoil sensative.

Anything wrong with this choice?

Dan

I don't see why not. I put a hooked breech on the fullstock Hawken I built a few years back. All the fullstock originals I had seen had solid breeches but I wanted a hooked breech for ease of cleaning. It may not be completely HC but is sure nice to clean.

I fimly believe if you are the one paying for it get what you want and don't worry about what others may think. If you want it judged enter a juried event, but if you want it for your own use, get what you want.

DanChamberlain said:
Thinking of my next project. Wanting to make it a little more difficult than the Pedersoli Kit I just completed.

I want a rifle, but I really love the "Fowler" style. TOW has a "Fowler" but a barrel option is rifled in .54, octagon to round. Another option offered with this style is hooked breech with barrel wedges vs pinned and the info indicates this was period correct if not often seen.

I know that an octagon to round profile would be a tad light for a "target" gun, but as an "aging" hunter, I prefer my hunting guns to "carry well" and I'm not recoil sensative.

Anything wrong with this choice?

Dan

If thats what you want, by all means build it. If your thinking they are easier to clean, I'd argue against that. My barrels don't come off my guns when I clean them, just not necessary.

Beware cutting slots for wedges are more labor intensive than pins, and you need to to get them right for a perfect fit. I'm sure it's a piece of cake for the pro's but this is something that scares me. :haha:

I do like your choice of oct/round barrel. I had a custom oct/round barrel with a sweet profile made for something special. :grin: :thumbsup:

Swampy said:
If thats what you want, by all means build it. If your thinking they are easier to clean, I'd argue against that. My barrels don't come off my guns when I clean them, just not necessary.

Beware cutting slots for wedges are more labor intensive than pins, and you need to to get them right for a perfect fit. I'm sure it's a piece of cake for the pro's but this is something that scares me. :haha:

I do like your choice of oct/round barrel. I had a custom oct/round barrel with a sweet profile made for something special. :grin: :thumbsup:

I have both pinned and keyed barrels. I don't pull the barrels on the pinned rifles. It's not necessary to remove the barrel for cleaning but for me it is easier manipulating just the barrel rather than the whole rifle.

I do agree with what you said about putting in keys whether the barrel has a hooked breech or not. I don't think there is more cause for pucker than cutting for keys. It is so easy to screw up.

i agree with ohio ramrod: if you're paying for it, you should have it the way you want it (why can't we get the gov't on board with that reasonable idea?- well, another titrade for another day)

i do find my T/C hawken- style a bit easier to clean that my rifles with pinned barrels, but not really that big a deal either way. it's easier to manipulate the barrel.

now you got me thinking... perhaps a gun with several barrels, say a .54 or .58 rifles and a 20 guage smoothie?

hmmmm :hmm:

I was thinking about that as well. If the barrel profile was exactly the same for both a .62 smooth, and a .54 rifled, one could have a switch barrel. It wasn't a cleaning issue at all.

Now, I'm a traditionalist...with a modernist flair. I was also thinking about a system used in the Pedersoli Frontier, where the barrel is secured by small bolts that come up from the bottom and through the ram-rod pipes, It makes for a really clean forestock with no pins or wedges. One could dress up the forestock if necessary, with inlay or wire.

Just a thought.

Dan

I like the hooked breech system for several reasons. It's nice for cleaning but the biggest reason I like it is that you can switch barrels on the same stock for different calibers,twists,length or shotgun. One stock,lock and trigger and many options. Can't do that with a pinned barrel gun.

I like long barrels for open timber stand hunting and I like shorter handier barrels for shorter shots in thicker brush conditions. Different projectiles for different conditions. I love drop-ins. Drop in a 32" fast twist barrel for long range conical shooting, drop in a shotgun barrel for some turkey or small game; drop in a .40 cal. roundball twist for some bunny or squirrel hunting, drop in a carbine barrel for some brush driving deer or treestand hunting. Did I say I love drop-ins.

Walks with fire said:
I like the hooked breech system for several reasons. It's nice for cleaning but the biggest reason I like it is that you can switch barrels on the same stock for different calibers,twists,length or shotgun. One stock,lock and trigger and many options. Can't do that with a pinned barrel gun.

I like long barrels for open timber stand hunting and I like shorter handier barrels for shorter shots in thicker brush conditions. Different projectiles for different conditions. I love drop-ins.

I dunno, I guess I can see why some guys think that way but whenever I look at my wall with 3 different custom guns hanging there on it, I've never failed to smile. :grin:

English made fowlers from the middle of the 18th century (and rifles too in some cases) had hooked breeches..Griffin...etc. Octogon to round smoothbore and rifle barrels.... In some cases the only difference between a rifle and afowler was the barrel. I have seen a Griffin with one of each type barrel...

Do it!! :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back