• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Homemade wedge tent

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skunkskinner

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I just finished my first wedge tent and I thought I would show you some pictures. The canvas is 8 oz. painters canvas, the cost was $36. Please dont be to harsh, remeber this is my first one. I tip my hat to all you tent builders out there. :hatsoff: We decided to go with the canvas floor, ever thought it might not be P.C.
homemadetent001.jpg

homemadetent002.jpg

:thumbsup: i sure cant see any thing wrong ,in fact i think it looks very good ive see brand name tents that had major flaws and they say that it is just a period look ,and if it keeps you dry then call it home. :grin: :grin:

Good job. It looks fine to me.

I've sewn up 4 wedge tents over the years. A couple things to keep in mind. The canvas will stretch in use, as your tent settles in. Don't be afraid to adjust the poles, or take a few stitches to tighten things up. The stake loops take a beating, and the top two ends also. Consider sewing in some extra scraps of canvas to help reinforce those areas. The 4 corner stakes take the most strain. I did not have the pins on the top of my upright poles extend up through the canvas. This marginally helps with water dripping in. But if your pins do extend on through, it helps hold the ridge pole in place, and you can also attach some "storm ropes" to them to stake out to the sides and back/front - if you are anticipating high winds. Some people have an extra long pin on the front pole, and then slip the ridge pole for their fly onto it. This makes for a pretty stable set-up. I personally like to set my fly up completely separate - this gives me more flexability.

Just some humble thoughts to share. Good job.

yhs
Mike Ameling

Nice job. What did you use to sew it up?
Have you waterproofed it yet?
Looks great! :hatsoff:

Kevin

Thanks,I used a Janome sewing machine. No, I havent waterproofed it yet but i'm thinking abought using scotchguard.

When I made my tents, I used a simple portable sewing machine - one of those old store brands. I used a heavy duty Sears #18 needle and cotton wrapped polyester thread. It sewed through 3 and 4 layers fairly well, but I hand turned it through the thick sections where seams met. I also double or triple sewed the seams, and really heavily stitched the stake loops on. I treated mine with Thompson's that I sprayed on with a garden pump sprayer.

I've also hand sewn up my trail tarps - where machine sewing would have shown.

yhs
Mike Ameling

I hope you have better luck with the 8oz canvas than I have. The weave will not close for me and Waterproofing is nearly useless. Any kind of rain simply splashes through the weave as a mist and the inside feels like the Amazon rain forest.

If he has a problem with the light weight canvas - could he paint it ? Just thinking out loud - thought maybe someone else might be wondering about this as well.

skunkskinner said:
Thanks, 6' tall 8' long 6' wide.I just sprayed 1/2 gal.of Thompson's on it,I hope it works.

Thompsons is not rated safe for canvas any longer. Hasn't been for several years. It may work but I have heard about it doing strange things to the fabric. Not much can be done at this point though.

If it works and the canvas does not fall apart by the end of the season let us know.

You may find you need to use a commercial seam sealer on the stiches. Most of the waterproofing agents will do fine on the flat fabric but the seams will seep water and drip.

I would leave the tent standing for at least two weeks before I folded and stored it. A month would be better.

Let us know how this works out. I have avoided Thompsons based on other peoples reports but I would really like to know how it actually holds up.

Yes, paint would have been an option for sealing the lose weave.

Skunk, I really like your wedge tent, looks great. I don't want you to think I am stealing your post, I just wanted you to see mine also. I used 10 oz. canvas from Sherwin-Williams paint store and sealed it with 2 gallons of canvak from Cabela's. This is a 12 x 12 diamond with sewn on door flaps that can be tied shut. We just finished a weekend at a F&I event and we went through 3 heavy downpours and never got a leak through the canvas. Under the canvas is another story. Just to show what a mind with some free time comes up with.
GrizsDen.jpg
[/img]

Ghost is right on Thompsons and DO NOT paint the canvas...it will only make it worse. In some cases, depending on how thick you put it on...it will break the weave and really leak. I know this from first hand experience.
Canvak is great stuff as well as Midex which helps prevent mildew as well as water. If the weave is 9oz.. :shocked2: .you may have a problem you can never fix. Having made well over 300 tipis, tents and marquees....good luck.

Back