• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Holy Carp Batman! Big Ball!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevthebassman

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Was looking over on Ebay and found a .987 round ball mould. What bore would that be? How many grains would that size of ball weigh?

Here's the auction: (not mine)
.987 round ball

It's pretty reasonably priced but I don't shoot anything near that big so I thought I'd pass it on.

.987 would fall in the 4 bore range.

Pure lead balls - a .919 is 1167 gr. and a 1.052 is 1750 gr in comparison.

However, the seller lists a 987 mold mark in the ad, not the ball size as .987, so you are reading it wrong (the decimal son, the decimal). :wink:

From the followup question answered, it is probably a .440 mold.

Ah, dang it. I thought I was maybe making a find for someone with a big bore. Oh well. :redface:

I had to go look at the auction, myself. I dream of 4 bores! But what is it with those guys always typing in ALL CAPS? I refuse to buy from anyone that unprofessional. Same with the dorky "LQQK" thing. Anyway, I think that's the mold number. Since he doesn't know what it is, a savvy buyer could probably get it pretty cheap.

Latest posts

Back