• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hit a snag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've run into a snag in building my Pecatonica river A. Verner rifle. Apparently didn't cut the trigger plate short enough so now it interferes with the location of the tab for the trigger guard. I figure I've got 2 options...
1. Cut trigger plate and plug existing inlet then inlet the tab.
2. Remove the tab and put a screw in the front part of the trigger guard.

I figure number 1 is the best way but maybe there is another option I'm not thinking about. This is my first build.
And yes, I'm aware that I need to clean up the trigger guard before installing.
20220411_193032.jpg

I had one like that. I sawed off the tab before thinking. I drilled and tapped the thick part of the front of the guard and ran a screw through the trigger plate to hold the front of the guard. A slot in the trigger plate would have been easier, but the stud was getting into the ramrod channel. I think the stud getting in the ramrod channel is why so many of the old guns had the front trigger so close to the front of the guard. They moved the guard back to miss the end of the ramrod hole.

For ease of future care of the trigger assembly, it would be best to cut the plate and allow the guard to cover the inlet.
It's a simple matter to add an insert of a wood scab to fill the existing inlet as base for the TG. It'll cover the bandaid.

Easy fix.........Cut the trigger plate off where the guard tab will fall. Inlet and glue a small piece of wood ahead of the trigger plate to fill any voids , Inlet the trigger guard and pin. Never make an easy project into a complex problem. Blend a little darker stain in the area , anyone judging your project , on something they won't see , unless you point it out , is not worthy of your time.

Cut a slot into the end of the trigger plate
Slot the trigger plate.....Fred
That was my first thought too guy's,
But what if that double trigger set ever needs to be cleaned or oiled?
If the button-up trigger plate has to come out,, then ya gotta drive the pins out of the TG just to remove the plate?
Shorten the plate, pin the guard, done deal,,

As Vaino say's slot the trigger plate. Had to on my A. Verner from Pecatonica River. My avatar is the trigger guard on the A. Verner

I've fixed that by slotting and by cutting the plate and gluing a block of wood in. I much prefer cutting/gluing. Slotting the plate doesn't give you anything to inlet that part of the guard into.... can't inlet into metal.......

Back