• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Historically Correct Builds

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bioprof said:
Steve Bookout from Toad Hall Rifle Shop, although I think he's semi-retired now? I know he forges his own barrels.

Alan Neubauer, at Hoot Owl's rifle shop also could probably build a rifle completely from raw materials.

There's probably quite a few more builders overseas that forge their own barrels and hardware.

Bookie came to mind, immediately. Lost touch with him, .... I used to read then reread everything he posted on that other forum. Loved his builds and the way he talked about them. Really interesting fella....

Your no slouch, yourself... :thumbsup:

"I have always considered myself to be a "gunstocker", I don't even consider myself a"gunsmith"."

Well keep your chin up Mike, in a couple of more years you might have the chops to get a job at TVM :thumbsup:

To be HC they would have to look brand new.No one made back in the days a gun that looks 200 years old like some do now.At one point it must have been new and shiny.Where there at the time builders claiming to be PC/HC and making guns from the 1500?
I don't get ANY of this PC/HC stuff.I get the general idea, but if a gun was made ,say in 1789, to no known school or common design of the day,would it be period or historical incorrect?
Were ALL the surviving examples of XVI or XVII centuries incorrect in the XIX century?
What does it matter anyways.

That is a beautiful end product and gives one a great deal of respect for how it used to be done, but I think the position of the stars is slightly different now than in the last quarter of the 18th century, I don't know how they managed to get around that one in a way to satisfy our questionier:idunno:
As for having to look new that is not the case as one may want a gun to re-enact the 1790 period but want a gun from the 1760 period so a new looking gun would be out of place.Those who age or patina guns are not trying to make 200 year old looking guns just guns from an earlier time than the impression, a simple concept from a re-enactors position

Prior to the American Revolution at least 90% of the locks and barrels put on American Longrifles were made in Europe and imported into the Colonies...This type of labor was cheaper in Europe than over here...Now some of these barrels were rifled by smiths over here...

I guess when they were PC they weren't PC...

Many gunsmiths could make their own brass furniture, this is how we track different schools...So even "back in the day" many gunsmiths were stockers...

There is a narrative by Andreas Albrecht that I've read where he told of his stocking guns for the army in Europe before he came to the Colonies...Many gunsmiths started the same way...

nchawkeye said:
Prior to the American Revolution at least 90% of the locks and barrels put on American Longrifles were made in Europe and imported into the Colonies....

Documentation please?

I doubt that statement for several reasons and would love you to explain how you can come up with such a definative %.
Gary

Maybe hc/pc stands for a lot of hocus/pocus. It would be very hard to do and labor intensive causing the build to be very expensive. But, alas, I'm "preaching to the choir". Now outhouses, that's a subject I can speak on. I aced my operator's test for the sanitary sewer system at the place I work. That should prove that I know my........fecal matter. Come on, Mike, you'd disappoint me if you don't have a comment on this. Unless I'm unworthy.

:stir:
smoothflinter said:
Maybe hc/pc stands for a lot of hocus/pocus. It would be very hard to do and labor intensive causing the build to be very expensive. But, alas, I'm "preaching to the choir". Now outhouses, that's a subject I can speak on. I aced my operator's test for the sanitary sewer system at the place I work. That should prove that I know my........fecal matter. Come on, Mike, you'd disappoint me if you don't have a comment on this. Unless I'm unworthy.

bioprof said:
Here's one for a bargain. Only 21 Grand.
http://www.donelsoncustommuzzleloaders.com/longarms.html[/quote]

That's the guy I was talking about. Next rifle pictured is my Cherry Girl (see my signature image) - from a blank of cherry he cut off his propery and seasoned himself. John's a pip.

JD-forging-at-Wapiti-2010.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The very first post on this thread started the stirring of the pot. A few people added some more ingredients. I just wanted a chance to stir seeing that a "skin" was developing on top of the brew and necessitated further stirring. It should be pretty tasty when finished.

Good post. Be aware, however, that you just got yourself put on the s___ list (I'm on it too) of a few "experts" in residence.

How could the average person in this hobby tell? I mean without removing a lock. Say a person finished the stock with scrapers, and original style finish. The brass hardware was finished from sand castings, the screws hand cut, forged trigger, and the barrel was a blank that was hand rifled so each land was opposite of a groove? The lock was finished with files and brick dust to give it that hand made look? How would "we" tell?

Sure many of the folks who really know guns might detect the lack of a seam showing anywhere on the barrel, unless the seam was on the underside..., I guess one could find it by looking at the muzzle.

Seriously, though, how many of the folks who were told such a gun was "all made by hand" would be able to tell, unless they removed the lock and saw the modern made parts??

LD

Loyalist Dave said:
How could the average person in this hobby tell? I mean without removing a lock. Say a person finished the stock with scrapers, and original style finish. The brass hardware was finished from sand castings, the screws hand cut, forged trigger, and the barrel was a blank that was hand rifled so each land was opposite of a groove? The lock was finished with files and brick dust to give it that hand made look? How would "we" tell?

Sure many of the folks who really know guns might detect the lack of a seam showing anywhere on the barrel, unless the seam was on the underside..., I guess one could find it by looking at the muzzle.

Seriously, though, how many of the folks who were told such a gun was "all made by hand" would be able to tell, unless they removed the lock and saw the modern made parts??

LD

Well Dave, maybe the OP will step in and clear that up for us? :stir:

Mike Brooks said:
hanshi said:
tg said:
Well keep your chin up Mike, in a couple of more years you might have the chops to get a job at TVM :thumbsup:

:hmm: Don't count on it. :stir:
I Wouldn't take the cut in pay.

Noted. You obviously make a lot more than I do; the only thing I build is debt :cursing: .

Speaking of old vs new tools, I own (handed down through the family) an original, barrel forging, hammer used by my ancestor who built guns back before the Rev War. Over the centuries it has had 5 new handles and 3 new heads and could still be used today. Of course I :slap: wouldn't use it since it is 250 years old. :slap:

I'm gonna have to ponder on that one awhile, good thing my sipping whiskey is close by...

A 250 year old hammer that's had 5 handles and 3 heads.... :)

Latest posts

Back