• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

High quality chisel brands

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Could any of you builders tell me a brand name or two of good quality chisels? I'm not one those folks that would rather ask then look myself but I really would have no idea if said chisel was good quality or not ...only want to have to do this once ! LOL ....Thanks

I just read about Pfiel . I'd like to go with American made but dont really have a problem buying Swiss if it comes down to it , if they really are that much better.

I only know of two made in USA brands and they are expnaive.
Lie-Nielsen and Blue Spruce
Lee Valley is a Canadian company but I don’t recall where their Veritas brand chisels are made. Good quality though.
Narex makes very good quality chisels especially in their high end line.
I would recommend that you stay away from the cheap chisels found in big box stores.
I have some Pfeil chisels and they are good but price.
All my woodworking forums seem to agree that Narex Richter chisels are a good value for money.
Most of my chisels are antique but most needed refurbishing and TLC. You need some experience to go that route.

I'm rather fond of my older (pre-2017) "Dastra" chisels and gouges, made in German. I've not tried the tools made post-2019, when Dastra was purchased by the company that owns Two Cherries, but the older ones held a nice edge without being brittle.

I agree with the Dastra recomendation. The set I use is from the 50’s and Ive used those for a long time. Easiest sharpening and hold an edge great. I doubt you could go too wrong with any vintage german or english made chisels if theyre in good condition when you buy them.

As stated by others--Pheil, but they can be hard to find in stock. My second choice is Two Cherries, made in Germany by Kirschen.

For bench chisels I am quite happy with Schaaf, they needed flattened and sharpened when they came out of the box but the steel is good and the price is reasonable. 2-2.5 hours for the set of 4 and they are good to go. All my others are Pfeil and they came out of the package very good, touch up while using and they stay scary sharp..

Latest posts

Back