• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Still working on chisels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bucky182

36 Cl.
Reaction score
OK I have been working on the old chisels I found/acquired that where in rough shape. Today took them to 10000 grit sandpaper. The edges shine like a mirror. The better one a James Swan is really sharp. Then a newer Irwin is very sharp. The others no real brand name on them are just so so. I guess quality last no matter how old something is.
Is there anything I can do differently to bet a better edge on these old off brand chisels?
I have also noticed that two of the cheaper ones have bent or twisted shafts. Could that also effect the ability to get them sharp?
I also broke down and ordered 3 two cherries chisels. I know Pfeil are probably better but could not find many in stock a lot was back ordered. I ordered a 6mm, 8mm, and 10mm my James Swan is 1/2

Any and all help is appreciated.

OK I have been working on the old chisels I found/acquired that where in rough shape. Today took them to 10000 grit sandpaper. The edges shine like a mirror. The better one a James Swan is really sharp. Then a newer Irwin is very sharp. The others no real brand name on them are just so so. I guess quality last no matter how old something is.
Is there anything I can do differently to bet a better edge on these old off brand chisels?
I have also noticed that two of the cheaper ones have bent or twisted shafts. Could that also effect the ability to get them sharp?
I also broke down and ordered 3 two cherries chisels. I know Pfeil are probably better but could not find many in stock a lot was back ordered. I ordered a 6mm, 8mm, and 10mm my James Swan is 1/2

Any and all help is appreciated.
When I sharpen my chisels I use a razor strop to fine tune them. They have to be sharp first.
Larry

I put mine on a grinder to get a nice hollow-ground edge. Then they go on a Arkansas washita stone, a Akansas hard, then a Arkansas hard-white. I follow up with a leather strop mounted on a board with a little red rouge rubbed on the leather. It's important to make sure the backs of the chisels are perfectly flat.

I strop my chisels and knives on a piece of 3/4" X 3" X 12" MDF that I glue some 9-10 oz leather to both sides of the MDF. I then rub on some green polishing compound to one side. Now I have a two-sided strop. :ghostly:

Back