• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

High Humidity Cold Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gbro

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I will be hunting the M/L season in Colorado next month. In past years I have flashed on 3 bulls.
Now I never lost too much sleep over the rifle not discharging,
But I need to understand more about why this is happening.
A typical morning at 9000ft can be 1" of snow or a good coating of ice.
I load each AM and by 11AM most snow/ice is gone.
Between this time the humidity is high, as the cold barrel will be quite damp.
I figure this dampness is wetting my touch hole, and although I change my priming charge frequently I was wondering what others do to keep moisture out.
Hey, I am still a green horn even though I have been carrying a smoke pole for years.

It sounds to me that you are taking your rifle in to a warm cabin each night. Then, when you go into the cold outdoors the next morning, the barrel "sweats". That is simply condensation.
Leave the gun in your cold truck, on a porch, in a shed, in a hollow tree, under a lean-to, etc. for the night - anywhere it is sheltered but where it will be the same temperature as the outside air.
I leave my rifle loaded all night, often for several days and nights, but I never bring it into a warm room during my hunt. I'll only change the load if I get caught out in a hard rain. Never had a problem.

No cabin, Tent only.(and no heater)(non-mororized area, pack in everything, and out that is why the flashes haven't devastated me, more like saved me)
Now this has been a puzzler to me for 10+ years. I always keep shootin Irons cold but this is a different problem.
Let me start again.
The ice/snow from overnight gives way to a humid morning. The barrel of my rifle, Still cold from the night becomes damp from condensation, Like a cold can of beer. I have come to believe this has been causing my ignition problem.

Now I have been told by some to grease the pan cover seams, but I was looking for other suggestions, as I am concerned about getting grease on the frizzen.

Before you load, clean your barrel with alcohol. Make sure it's bone dry. Load up and plug the vent with a toothpick or quill. Save the priming for just before the shot. Or you can seal the pan and vent area with grease type lube.

HD

Thanks,
I think the quill will be a good idea for the early part of the day.
Now when we use alcohol, I have heard that dentured alcohol is what we should use. Is Isopr...(heet) ok too?

YOu may have no heater in your tent, but your own body gives of both heat and humdity. Leave the gun outside where there is NO temperature differentiation, to prevent the condensation inside the barrel.

As to keeping the powder dry in the barrel, plug the vent with a round toothpick, or use a cleaning patch soaked in alcohol, half of it on the pan( sans priming powder) and half against the barrel, covering the hole, held down by closing the frizzen on the bottom half of the patch. The evaporating alcohol will suck out any moisture in the barrel and powder, leaving a dry load. You will have to renew the alcohol during the day, so you might want to put some alcohol soaked patches in a plastic baggie, or other container, to carry into the field.

Remove the patch when you see or hear game, and prime the pan at that time. When the weather is bad, most prey species do not rush around, because the snow, or rain also interferes with their primary defensive tool- their hearing. So, they walk, and stop frequently, to listen. That gives you the time to prime your piece, and get ready to shoot. :thumbsup:

For What It's Worth,

Each person sleeping in a cold tent will breath off or evaporate off the body more than one quart of water per person over night. That collects inside the tent, on sleeping bags, on clothing and everything else unless you leave some area on both ends of the tent open for venting.

Each person sleeping in a cold tent will breath off or evaporate off the body more than one quart of water per person over night.

And then there is always the guy who will wake up and see all the droplets of water on the tent and have to reach out, tap them, and everyone gets an impromptu shower of condensation. :shake:

I hear you all, The tent is one of those with the mesh top and rain fly. But I hear you.
I worked on the lock today and by the end I placed an order to TOTWolf and I have an L&R lock coming.
My shooting partner has built several rifles and swears by the L&R's.
Tomorrow we will be chronographing his new 140grain .45cal mini's He built the mold himself. I probably won't sleep tonight!

In addition to plugging the vent, you might also consider stretching a finger cot over the muzzle. If the charge is dry when you load it, the plug and cot should keep it that way. I haven't hunted with my flinter yet, but I use that system to keep my cap gun from wetting out.

:v "Rubbing Alcohol" as it is about 70% Alcohol and 30% water by volume doesn't dry very well as it already has considerable water. IpA or Isoprophl alcohol is about 91% alcohol and works very well and cheap.Both are skin safe!
"HEET" or "DRY GAS" will certainly work to dry things,but! Methanol or "wood" alcohol is potentialy dangerous to bare skin, as it is readily absorbed and is POISONOUS depending on the amount of exposure. Definitely NOT SAFE for INTERNAL use!!!
Ethyl or "Grain" alcohol, "Everclear" will readily take up water also. Of course there is some danger of too much exposure if you've been snake bit. :v

Back