• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

here piggy piggy!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dallas10c

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, Pennsylvania has officially removed the protection on the feral pigs in the state. There are a few protected counties in the western part of the state where they are doing "offical" removal programs but the rest of the state is wide open outside of spring and fall turkey and deer season.

That being the case, are there any PA hunters out there who would like to get together and go find some pork???

i dont know about getting together, i like to hunt alone but i know if i see one ill be taking a shot and id heard about the law statig you can shoot em now thats cool thats some good eatin!

Well, if it is like it is out here, everyone is bitching about the pigs, but when you ask them if you can hunt, you get the old "Hell no, we get a lot of money for hunting" song.

The pig may be off the protected list, but someone owns that land and you have to have permission to go on it, shoot on it, or retrieve an animal from it. I have a couple chicken$hi+ neighbors who will not let us retrieve a deer if it dies across the fence. We have to call the sheriff and have him come do a standby while we go across the fence and drag the deer back. If it isnt bitterly cold, by the time we get that done the meat has spoiled. It all stems from fueds between the old people back in the homestead days.

There are a lot of "fueding fences" in that area. Most of the originals in our area are Pennsylvania Dutch. They left Pennsylvania so they could pi$$ in each others shoes on new turf. They would stake out a homestead and then build their fence 10 feet INSIDE THE BOUNDARY, then file charges if the neighbor allowed his stock on their land OUTSIDE THE FENCE, thus forcing the other neighbor to have to construct a second fence on the boundary. Just to make an issue for the other person. I have never killed any of those dutchmen, but I continue with great joy to read their obituaries. (stolen from Clarance Darrow)

I know in Wyoming County last year a few farmers got chased by the pigs...so I think I might have a few places to go. Gotta make some calls to some farmers I know up there.

Should be interesting. I hunt North Central and an Amish guy I know saw a few last Summer.
Any of you Pa. guys know how it would work as far as regs. go ?

Michigan has feral hogs? The way I understand the law you have to be sure the pig don't belong to someone. I don't know of any in SW Michigan but I read about a guy getting one around Big Rapids.

Check the state forest preserves, and talk to the rangers, or officers who work there. They can tell you if they have a problem, and if so, whether its legal for you to hunt the pigs. In many states, feral hogs are a nuisance, and do tremendous damage to state forests, often eating an entire day's work of new plantings overnight.In Florida, for instance, you are allowed to kill one hog a day, and hunting is pretty much a year round activity in the state forests. They are difficult to locate, although their destruction is not hard to find. You are more likely to smell them, and hear them before you see them.

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys might wanna cjeck with any local farmers as well. Hogs will tear thier fields up quick and usually a farmer would be more than happy to get them off his property. Once it starts warming up, look for "hog wallows"(wallers in the south) You'll be able to tell do to the tracks around it and the water will look like chocolate milk. Also around these wallers the trees will have mud from the ground up to a certain hieght. Once the hog has rolled in the mud, they rub against a tree or post to help discard some of the bugs that are on them. Remember, pigs don't sweat so they will have to visit a waller to cool down. A good look at how high the mud is also will give you an idea on how big the hog is. Also a hogs tracks will look like a deers, except the front is rounded.

Hi Recon,
I only live about 20 miles from you and would be intrested in the pig thing, but I have no idea where. I've been asking around some land owners in southern Luzerne county but nothing doing. Another friend has a small farm in Wyoming county and he also told me he has not seen or heard of any.

Bill

paulvallandigham said:
In Florida, for instance, you are allowed to kill one hog a day, and hunting is pretty much a year round activity
same deal here In calif and boy do they do some damage here. I also here in Misouri it is shoot on sight period as they would like to ride the whole state of them. here in Calif some make big money on them and other areas are had to get the okay to hunt . That is tell they start to get to many then they open up remember a pig can have two to three letters a year of 6 to 8 pigs each so getting to many takes no time at all.

Latest posts

Back