• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

helping

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then the no-no rifle...I had friend disassemble the bolt action to get at the nipple. That was cruddy and oily. I had doubts we could shoot it clear as he had tried pulling the sabot and sent the screw all the way through to the old pellets. But, I tried anyhow. Hated touching that thing. Made me feel like I was sinning and getting dirty. Enneyhow, we got some priming into the breech area and put it all back together. Made sure the bullet and charge were seated. Replaced the nipple and charged that. Then I let friend shoot. It shot but a lot of flame poured out of the muzzle. I mean poured down as it it were flaming water. Strangest phenomenon I have ever seen with a muzzle loader. I cannot explain this. Well, at the end I gave him a few ounces of 4Fg, a nipple wrench and pick, some .490" round balls, lessons in cleaning and care of a muzzle gun. I advised him to get some black powder for the sidelock but he is sticking with the aged Pyrodex pellets he has, still in package. This is typical behaviour for a once a year shooter. The ml deer season opens next week here in Arkansas and he wants to be 'ready'. It felt good to help another muzzle gun shooter, even if he is a once a year type. But, I have a feeling he will be back next year for another help session. I don't mind as I believe a big part of this game is in helping others.
Your friend has a lot of money invested in those nefarious pellets. He just doesn't want to throw all that money away. If he continues to use the pellets he may be ready but his rifle won't be. Ditch the pellets.

You are to be commended for trying to help. Be prepared to help at the end of deer season and show him this thread.

I have been a boy scout rifle instructor, a civilian club instructor, and a military rifle instructor and I have to say that honestly there are just plain old stupid people out there. They need to be dealt with any way one can do it safely. We must remember that one half the population is stupider than the other half. I make every effort to avoid the lesser one's.

Rifleman, you have indeed sinned by touching that unmentionable! Now you are UNCLEAN. Your atonement shall be besmirching you fingers with the soot from the pan of a fired flintlock, rubbing it on your face and inside your mouth, and then rinse and repeat. Use some strong firewater for the rinse.

Your atonement shall be besmirching you fingers with the soot from the pan of a fired flintlock, rubbing it on your face and inside your mouth, and then rinse and repeat. Use some strong firewater for the rinse.
Hmmmm.... That's the way I have always done it..... You mean to tell me not everybody does this already???
Well, that seems to be the way it usually works out anyway... :eek:

I have to say that honestly there are just plain old stupid people out there. They need to be dealt with any way one can do it safely. We must remember that one half the population is stupider than the other half. I make every effort to avoid the lesser one's.

Yep, the average IQ is 100 but the majority of the population fall below 100.
This means that really smart people are so smart they they are elevating the mean.

Rifleman, you have indeed sinned by touching that unmentionable! Now you are UNCLEAN. Your atonement shall be besmirching you fingers with the soot from the pan of a fired flintlock, rubbing it on your face and inside your mouth, and then rinse and repeat. Use some strong firewater for the rinse.
Amen, Bro. Yes, I must do that. 😁

Back