• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

helping

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A friend called me saying he was having a problem with his muzzle loading rifle. He couldn't make it fire despite being loaded. I told him to bring it over and I would do surgery on it. Well, he shows up with two rifles. One a sidelock kit built CVA and a (excuse the language 🤬 ) CVA inline. Neither could be fired despite being loaded. Turns out they were loaded with very old Pyrodex pellets. And, he had loaned them to his son, who loaned them to someone else and both returned in pretty cruddy condition. The sidelock required pretty standard methods to finally get it to fire. I removed the nipple, unclogged it, put some 4Fg into the drum and picked it into the breech area as much as possible. Replaced the nipple and charged that with some 4Fg also. First try, after making sure the sabot bullet was seated, it went 'bang'. Then the no-no rifle...I had friend disassemble the bolt action to get at the nipple. That was cruddy and oily. I had doubts we could shoot it clear as he had tried pulling the sabot and sent the screw all the way through to the old pellets. But, I tried anyhow. Hated touching that thing. Made me feel like I was sinning and getting dirty. Enneyhow, we got some priming into the breech area and put it all back together. Made sure the bullet and charge were seated. Replaced the nipple and charged that. Then I let friend shoot. It shot but a lot of flame poured out of the muzzle. I mean poured down as it it were flaming water. Strangest phenomenon I have ever seen with a muzzle loader. I cannot explain this. Well, at the end I gave him a few ounces of 4Fg, a nipple wrench and pick, some .490" round balls, lessons in cleaning and care of a muzzle gun. I advised him to get some black powder for the sidelock but he is sticking with the aged Pyrodex pellets he has, still in package. This is typical behaviour for a once a year shooter. The ml deer season opens next week here in Arkansas and he wants to be 'ready'. It felt good to help another muzzle gun shooter, even if he is a once a year type. But, I have a feeling he will be back next year for another help session. I don't mind as I believe a big part of this game is in helping others.

"you can lead an idiot to a solution but you can't make him think!" Respectfully, Geo.

Not calling anyone an idiot but will add though....

When ya have that big buck lined up in yer sights. Perfect opportunity . That dream to come true once the trigger is pulled!!

Slow motion going through your mind as the hammer is dropping!

Gonna happen!!!

The loud noise of the cap as it breaks the silence in the misty still woods! It’s really gonna happen!

That trophy buck!!

NOTHING!!! As you watch that once in a lifetime spooked buck dart back into the woods....

The bitterest pill to swallow.

Shoulda listened!
Coulda listened!
Woulda listened but I didn’t !

Think he’s gonna learn his lesson the HARD WAY!

Respectfully, Cowboy

You cannot cure stupid, but you can numb it with a 2 X 4.

In al honesty, not all folks are meant to handle, shoot and hunt with guns. It is just not in their makeup. In a previous life I was an Industrial Trainer, folks learn by 1 of 7 different ways, just have to find the one which will work with a person , if you have the time.

It is generally easier to teach women to shoot than men.

I know a lady who immigrated here from another country and had no concept of ML guns or shooting when coming here. She is a competent ML line shooter today, she loads her own rifle and cleans it at the end of the day. She set a club record last year.

One thing I have seen in clubs, is a new person shows up and starts shooting. Unfortunately a club member does not take the time to mentor the person and they quickly quit shooting and leave the club.

Rifleman1776 provides a lot of mentoring and teaching here to those who will listen to him.

Helping in any way with a shooter regardless of the weapon is the first step in ensuring the hobby goes on especially with the current climate we face. Never refer to someone as a idiot or stupid this person had a situation and knew how to get help and who to ask for help with such a situation, pass on all the knowledge you can. Observe, determine and correct who knows perhaps if you were to spend more time with this person they may come around to crushing rocks also. I never be-little a shooter or hunter what ever they choose to use or the reason they use it. Perhaps it is time we start to think about more than our beloved long rifles and pass along knowledge acquired over years of experience.

Helping is admirable and most here would, and are more than willing to do so my friends.

An open mind with a willingness to learn is my only requirement’s that I ask of a person if I’m to teach or mentor. I’m pretty sure we all agree to that. Is pretty much what this forum is all about.

If a person refuses to adhere to sound advice is another matter? Unfortunately they’ll have to learn the hard way. My dad use to tell me when I was a kid to take the cotton out of my ears and put it in my mouth. Ain’t learning if yer talking he use to say.

The members here on this forum have taught me a great deal. I still continue to learn from all of you. Been personally mentored and personally mentored others as well.

Lastly, in the end, a person not only asks for that help but also applies what they’ve learned and continues to grow.

Respectfully, Cowboy

Just don't assume one's advice is required to be taken! :)

Well noted and agree. There’s more than one way to skin a cat. Especially in the muzzleloading world. Many different ways to achieve the same desired results?

What I’m referring to when I say “require” is my personal condition if I’m to spend my time and effort with someone as a mentor. Mentor being one on one contact at the range or a shooting environment . That is to have an open mind and willingness to learn on their part.

As far as the forum?

Wether they heed to that advice is up to them? No requirement’s but only a willingness to share on my part.
Respectfully, Cowboy

I got yelled at for using that word. (However, I do agree with that statement)
I forgot, I should have said Mentally Challenged Aspiring Black Powder Enthusiast. Where I grew up in S.E. Texas back in the dreamtime the "I" word was about as commonly used as 'S%#$ For Brains', which was my older brother's favorite appellation for me. I'll try to refrain from using the vernacular of the peasantry from here out, LOL!

You cannot cure stupid, but you can numb it with a 2 X 4.

In al honesty, not all folks are meant to handle, shoot and hunt with guns. It is just not in their makeup. In a previous life I was an Industrial Trainer, folks learn by 1 of 7 different ways, just have to find the one which will work with a person , if you have the time.

It is generally easier to teach women to shoot than men.

I know a lady who immigrated here from another country and had no concept of ML guns or shooting when coming here. She is a competent ML line shooter today, she loads her own rifle and cleans it at the end of the day. She set a club record last year.

One thing I have seen in clubs, is a new person shows up and starts shooting. Unfortunately a club member does not take the time to mentor the person and they quickly quit shooting and leave the club.

Rifleman1776 provides a lot of mentoring and teaching here to those who will listen to him.
[/QUOTE Rifleman's a good man and teacher. Remember when older ML shooters were called Greybeards? In an old book it says 'the strength of a young man is in his arms; the strength of an old man is in his grey head.' Rifleman lives up to that saying all the time. Bless his wizened curls!

Helping in any way with a shooter regardless of the weapon is the first step in ensuring the hobby goes on especially with the current climate we face. Never refer to someone as a idiot or stupid this person had a situation and knew how to get help and who to ask for help with such a situation, pass on all the knowledge you can. Observe, determine and correct who knows perhaps if you were to spend more time with this person they may come around to crushing rocks also. I never be-little a shooter or hunter what ever they choose to use or the reason they use it. Perhaps it is time we start to think about more than our beloved long rifles and pass along knowledge acquired over years of experience.
Thank you for the sermon. I was merely quoting an old, truthful saying.

No sermon, just common sense that some seem to be lacking, having been a firearms instructor for the state and a range coach while in the Marine Corps and many years or helping fellow shooters with different situations you learn all do not comprehend the information being passed to them. It is just a matter of different approaches on the learning curve for individual's. There is a bit of difference from a industrial trainer and one who teaches firearms and their use and care and safety issues. In a situation with weapons training there is always time if you are a dedicated trainer.

Because of the peculiar way that club-style shooting operates here in UK, anybody arriving as a new shooter HAS to have a learning curve, by law. Between three and six months as a noob, learning all there is to know about safe handling and many different firearms is compulsory here in UK. The learning process is aided by having any number of mentors to help out the noob with the actual learning to shoot process, and it is very rewarding for those involved, I can say from many years of doing it.

Only after completing the noob time, doing a few simple but mandatory tests to see that the lessons have all sunk in, can the noob become a full member of the club, rather than a probie, and only THEN can they apply to the county police authority for their Firearms Certificate for the guns they'd like to own and shoot. Might take a year, all told - often does, TBH.

You really have to WANT to be a shooter here in UK.

Back