• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

help with revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sml

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I have been shooting a .45 cal cva Kentucky rifle that was built from a kit for a number of years. My dad recently was given a .44 cal revolver with no information as to ball dia. or the grains of powder that safely can be used, and any thing I should watch for when loading? I was wondering if anybody would be able to help me with these questions? Also the pyrodex powder i have has is for rifles and shotguns. What is the differance in the pistol powder?
Thanks Steve

pryodex 'P' grade is smaller granules then 'RS'. start with about 22 grs in your pistol and use a .454 ball (if Walker, Dragoon or Ruger Old Army use .457)
most revolvers use #10 caps. be safe! and a big Welcome to the Forum, lots of BP pistol shooters here :hatsoff:

What brand is your revolver? That helps to figure out the right ball diameter.

Most of the .44s seem to have a sweet spot around 22-25 grains of FFFG powder or Pyrodex P. I've never had good luck with Pyrodex and it's just as corrosive as black powder anyway. If you can get real black powder, you might give it a try. I mail order mine in bulk from powderinc.com.

I'd try .454 balls. You want them to shave off a small ring of lead when you seat them. This creates a tight fit in the chamber for maximum accuracy and it also seals the chamber so that hot gasses from firing doesn't set off the adjacent chambers. If the .454 loads too hard and shaves off a large ring, try .451. If it barely shaves, try .457. Some folks like to put grease over the ball. It makes for some messy shooting and I find this uneccesary if the ball fits tight.

With a charge as light as 22-25 grains, the ball will seat too deep in the chamber for maximum accuracy. It's best to use filler between the powder and ball to get the ball to seat flush with the chamber mouth. You can use lubed felt wads, or just pour in a measured amount of cream of wheat, corn meal or grits. This also helps keep bore fouling down.

For the caps, it probably takes #10, but it might take #11. No way to tell without trying. The caps need to fit the nipples tight to keep hot gasses from entering the chamber and setting off a cross fire. Be sure to push them tightly onto the nipples. You might need to pinch the caps to make them fit also.

For accuracy, the most important aspect, aside from finding the load that your gun likes, is consistency. Do everything the same way each time. Seat all the balls with equal pressure, use the same amount of filler in each chamber, etc.

Good luck and have fun! :grin:

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree more info about the gun would help us help you and pass on tips.

Welcome to the Forum. You found the right place. :)

If you don't have one, from the above posts you will note that you need to get a powder measure that can measure out small amounts of powder. The adjustable ones usually go from 0 to 50 grains or so.

You need the oversize balls they mentioned above. The balls must be larger than the chambers in the cylinder so they will shear off some lead when the ram presses them into each cylinder. Balls come in .451, .454 and .457 diameter so I would go with the .454 as suggested above.

It is best to coat the ball in mouth of the chamber with some sort of lube. Crisco or other similar vegetable grease works or plain old lard will do the job.
This not only lubes the balls but it assures that no flame from the firing chamber can get into an adjacent chamber and set off a chain fire.

As was noted above, Pyrodex P is made for pistols (hence the P) but your Pyrodex RS will work. It will just produce a little lower velocity and make a little more fouling.

If you can get real Black Powder, 3Fg is the recommended powder for pistols.

Your gun will probably shoot high at 15-25 yards. This is normal for Cap and Ball pistols.

I could go on but there is a lot posted in the Pistol section of the Forum so spend some time looking around.

Thanks for the info. As long as the gun is safe to shoot with pyrodex rs I think that I will use the stuff I have on hand. Black powder is tough to find. My dad seem to remember the gentlmen who gave him the gun said to use .454 round balls, I would go ask but he is in advanced stages of alzheimer's. If the weather is good(not 90+)we will try to shoot this weekend.
Thanks again Steve

if you have a Pietta .44 then .454 dia. balls press in nicely. that RS is tough to set off IMO w/#10 caps, it might do ok.

Latest posts

Back