• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help with identification and value

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, All
Looking to purchase this Italian Colt replica. Looks rough on the outside (To me) but owner says unfired and everything tight. Just been banging around since his father purchased it.
Only seen photos will be able to look at it in person before purchase. Any idea value and manufacture? I plan on buying to shoot. Don't know anything about percussion revolvers (Yet)

1713224947526.png

Someone's "project" gun. Non-original front sight, attempt at customizing the grip and what looks like a brass frame. First time you shoot it, the loading lever will probably fall down, rammer may go into a chamber, and the Indians will have your hair hanging from a lodge pole.

To me, it might turn into an interesting but hard to resell thing that I would never get around to finishing. Thus, I also would pass, even if it were REALLY cheap ($50).

They might have some custom holder upper for the rammer in there. A Walker style or something you dont see in pic.

Agreed with the $50.

If you want something to just play with as an experiential aspect (say playing with shims and arbor stuff), it might be worth a few bucks but........

If you want a gun that has shooting value, then not at all. Have to wonder what other stuff was done to it.

Finish was removed or it was in a sack on the side of a horse and rubbed off.

Not a replica of anything. Has an 1851 Colt barrel and 1860 cylinder. Grips look like 1851 also. The frame is 1860 civilian style, but they were never made in brass. Depends on brand, the barrel can be replaced. Barrels are about $65 up. Some with loading levers and others without. If it functions as it should, $125 and up.
It should have three clicks. Half cock, cylinder lock and full cock. Fully cock it slow and lower hammer manually. Notice rotation of cylinder. Then cock it a little faster. It won't hurt it to dry fire it once. Just don't make a habit of it. It will peen the nipples/cap cones.
Hope this helps.

I would guess to each his own. Depending on price, I wouldn't mind having it.
This one was found in an attic. EIG junk. Its now a Griswold and Gunnison.
Hope you don't mind me adding to your post. Just sharing.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1704550558625.jpg
    FB_IMG_1704550558625.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1704550549107.jpg
    FB_IMG_1704550549107.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1704550577407.jpg
    FB_IMG_1704550577407.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1704550572059.jpg
    FB_IMG_1704550572059.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1704550567224.jpg
    FB_IMG_1704550567224.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I definitely would pass on this revolver. There is just an oddness to it overall. As mentioned, the sight, rammer, brass frame and the finish looks not quite right. My revolvers from 1959 and 1960’s have been fired a lot, but they don’t look like that one. Pass.

Back