• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pistol Identification

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all

Coworker of mine sent me these pics (yep they're not the best) and just these two photos of a pair of pistols he found when cleaning out his fathers belongings after his passing.

I know they're French, but past that, that's it. Looking for help to identify the model of these two and at a passing glance, a rough value of them. Thank you

318884902_704512644390243_6247162040942460536_n.jpg

318801398_502985378321111_7809333060190334885_n.jpg

Nice looking pistols. They kind of resemble the French 1822 Service pistol but with a different ram rod design. With the belt hooks I would tend to think Naval issue (or private purchase) as French cavalry pistols usually are without hooks. One is missing the swivel for the ramrod which I am sure would affect the value. hopefully someone would recognize them to give you more exact info.

As to pricing I am really not sure. From what I've seen at gun shows, such as OGCA, foreign military pistols usually sell for less than that of similar US pieces. Back action locks would seem to suggest 1840's/50's so contemporary with US M1842 era pistols. Maybe $400/$500 range?

Hello all

Coworker of mine sent me these pics (yep they're not the best) and just these two photos of a pair of pistols he found when cleaning out his fathers belongings after his passing.

I know they're French, but past that, that's it. Looking for help to identify the model of these two and at a passing glance, a rough value of them. Thank you

I would respectfully suggest re-posting your pics/question in our Firearm Identification section, where it may get a read from experts not looking in our Handguns section.

Back