• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help with GPR Flintlock.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am new to shooting a Flintlock I have shot a lot of percussion muzzleloaders. I just build a GPR and shot it yesterday and had some miss fires so I change out the flint that came with my GPR kit that help. I might be over thinking things here I read here that the torch hole might be too small just looking for some good information. Also how many grains do you use to prime and what size flint do you use?

I (and others) think a good place to start with the vent hole is to run a 1/16 inch drill bit thru it.

For reasons no one knows, most vents, as they come from the factory, are a little smaller than 1/16" and increasing their size seems to improve reliability.

As for the amount of priming the rifle needs, no one can give you some exact amount that you should use.

IMO, if there is enough powder to completely cover the bottom of the pan, that is enough.
Others like to use more.
They think filling the pan gives a larger blast when the priming powder ignites so it has a better chance of getting thru the vent hole and igniting the main powder charge.

I think we all agree, if the priming is not enough to cover the bottom of the pan, it stands a good chance of not firing the gun.

I found that my Lyman lock sparked best with the flint bevel down, too. Had a time figuring out that one. It also saved flint wear.

Filling the pan about halfway worked really well for that lock.

No problem! Just sorry I didn't see this post sooner.

I forgot to mention that for some reason my Lyman does best with the vent picked just about every time, and it does have a 1/16" touch hole

SgtErv said:
I found that my Lyman lock sparked best with the flint bevel down, too. Had a time figuring out that one. It also saved flint wear.

Filling the pan about halfway worked really well for that lock.

Good point, bevel up or bevel down will be different on different guns, your aim is to direct the sparks into the bottom of the pan. :thumbsup:

I agree - I'd start at 1/16 and go from there. The only very small touch hole I've had luck with is the one on the White Lightnin' liner. My other liners have a bit larger touch holes, and my plain/traditional holes are about 1/8 holes in the barrel flat.

I agree with Darkhorse. I replaced my factory Lyman liner with an RMC liner. Works great. I also fall in the "just enough prime to cover the bottom of the pan" club. :2

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back