• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

help with cap size please

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PHI

32 Cal.
Reaction score
My pietta rem 1858 seems to be in between cap sizes. The # 11 ( remington) is slightly to big ( fits if the squeese it a bit) and the # 10 is to thight. Will fit on but need to push it quite hard with a dowel to get it seated completely - and I am not so sure if that is safe if the gun is loaded.

Are differnet brands are slightly different in size? Turn down the nipple to fit the # 10?

As I understand, pinching the # 11 to fit is not the perfect way to do things ( chainfire) and not " airtight"....

You may want to try Tresso Nipples .
Or different caps . I wouldn't dowel them though , go bang :(

Kelly Reb :thumbsup:

The #10 Rem fits mine as well as the #11 "Winchester's" from Wally World..(those are actually CCI's I understand) I use to seat mine with a dowel but looking through my junk drawer I found a long rubber eraser (for some sort of mech pencil) that firs and works perfectly..It's now added to my shootin box. I did order some of them there fancy high class nipples to try out, haven't arrived yet...lol

i am kind a worried about pushing the nipples with some pressure on it, after all they are called percussion caps.....
So I guess I try the tresco

On all my Uberti pistols ( 8), I replaced the pos Italian nipples with the Tescos, the Rem #11 fit perfect, they do not need to be forced on. CCI #11 are too large.
Proper nipple at cap fit is criticel for safe shooting, also the reliability goes way up. I can compete at a cowboy action event and have 100% boom on a 60 round match.

Enjoy, and watch out for those Carpet Baggers!

both are remingtons.... just ordered some new nipples , should fix the problem
Thanks!

Kelly Reb said:
You may want to try Tresso Nipples .
Or different caps . I wouldn't dowel them though , go bang :(

Kelly Reb :thumbsup:
Pressure will not set off a cap. They need percussion. I have squeezed caps in a vise until flat and it would not set them off.

click to enlarge

Back