• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help with browning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeb

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I used LMF on my barrel and lock parts and on the typed instructions it says after a baking soda wash and dry to use boiled linseed oil on the parts and I did, now I noticed after two days of drying that I have lint stuck all over the place and it looks bad. Not the brown just the lint. Do you think if I used regular Rem oil or Ballistol to rub down the barrel and such with a lint free cloth this time, I could get the lint off without ruining the browning? Cause the lint is kind of stuck like glue to the metal. thanks

I think linseed oil would only work if you put it on very thin, so it would dry faster. But putting it on that thin would kinda defeat the purpose of applying the oil. You really need to saturate the surface with oil, at least the first oiling.

I'm sure most of us here just use a good gun oil on freshly browned parts. Put it on pretty heavy, and then check it in a couple of days to look for more rusting. Keep applying the oil until no rust can be found. You can always wipe off any excess oil if it's applied too heavy.

I don't know why they stated to use linseed, that's kinda like smearing on gummy bears. :idunno: Bill

P.S. Missed the second part of your post. I think you could wash off the linseed oil with WD-40, or just gun oil. Might take alot of wiping to get it all off. Then just use gun oil after that.

After I brown a barrel and neutralize it with soda I slop on the WD-40 for 24 hrs. Check it often as the barrel soaks up the WD-40 . I then take a good paste wax I use min-wax and coat the barrel a couple of times in the next few following days.

Your are correct, the linseed oil has been drying for three days and was all lumpy and gooey I had to 0000 steel wool the lumps and the lint off and then re-oil the barrel and parts I have it all drying now and will look for more missed lumps tomorrow and steel wool them off and oil again. To tell you the truth I really didn't need the extra work so close to being finished but today's work made a BIG difference in the look of the barrel. I would never use linseed oil again on any metal parts.

Back