• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help with broken lock spring

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaan

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I bought an unknown left handed flintlock, and the hammer spring is broken.

Can anyone identify this lock, and help me to find a replacement spring?

Any additional information is welcome too.

Thanks in advance!

Naoq6Yh.jpg

Try ace hardware you might find one that will work
I found some springs for another gun I was working on .. TAC2..

I know coil springs like this are common and I can probably dig one up. This particular one is pretty stiff and I'll have to find the right one to balance against the frizzen spring.

From what I've been able to see however, is that this seems an uncommon style. There's also some weirdness going on to the right in the picture, where there are two washers. I don't know if these are supposed to be here, or if someone before me added these.

I should mention the reason the front of the lock mechanism is squared off, is that this gun has swivel barrels. That's also the reason for that protrusion to connect to the trigger.

If you can not find or make a replacement spring, any thoughts on fitting a bushing or spacer on the shaft to take up the slop?

Fleener

TAC2 said:
Try ace hardware you might find one that will work
I found some springs for another gun I was working on .. TAC2..

Bad idea, that spring is hardened.

That's an interesting lock you have... Sorry to hear of the misfortune. However, I've contacted track of the wolf on several occasions for odd ball parts and they have came through. Possibly might want to give that a try, or go the more expensive custom manufacturing route which given the oddity, might be your only option. Are there any markings on the lock at all?

I would just go to my gunsmith, they should have the spring stock on hand.
I am sure mine would.

Good luck :)
William Alexander

Tinker2 said:
I would just go to my gunsmith, they should have the spring stock on hand.
I know a really great gunsmith, and I did give him the gun to look at and he said it was fine...so I feel kind of awkward going back to him, you know? The only other gunsmith in the area is so booked up he isn't taking any new work.

Jaan said:
I know a really great gunsmith, and I did give him the gun to look at and he said it was fine...so I feel kind of awkward going back to him, you know?

He may have meant it will work fine just like that. It may be a non-problem.

Don’t feel awkward to go back to him, if you want a new spring, tell him.

William Alexander

Wolff Springs

www dot gunsprings dot com

or show it around a small engine shop/hydraulic shop might be a valve spring out there that would work. or two of them.

Very interesting lock. I am intersted in coil spring back action flintlocks. Would love to see the rest of the gun.

Tinker2 said:
He may have meant it will work fine just like that. It may be a non-problem.

Don’t feel awkward to go back to him, if you want a new spring, tell him.
There's no "umph" to the strike. It's lucky if it sparks at all, let alone kick out the frizzen (I'm by no mean an expert on flintlocks, but I assume it has to spark lol). The gunsmith is one of the old timers at my gun club, so I just don't want to insult him since he's just about as nice of a guy as you could meet. If I can fix it on my own even better ...

ddoyle said:
Very interesting lock. I am intersted in coil spring back action flintlocks. Would love to see the rest of the gun.
Here are some pictures of the gun...
Muzzleloading Forum Link

If he is as nice a guy as you say, he won't mind giving your lock a second look. In my club, second looks at problem guns happen all the time.

The break in your spring could have happened after he looked at it.

Back