• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need help with an old Russ Hamm

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I this is an old Russ Hamm lock that is on a .36caliber rifle built by my father in the late 1970's. I have been shooting it all these years and the main spring has finally broken. Measuring from the front most point in the bend of the spring to the rear edge of the post I get 19/32. I sent the spring to Dixie and they could not find a matching replacement. I was hoping someone could suggest a replacement that would work before I look toward learning to make one.

Attachments

• 20230903_152309.jpg
    20230903_152309.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 4
  • 20230903_152222.jpg
    20230903_152222.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
It may be better to replace the entire lock, if you can get one to fit . Depends on how much wear the rest of it has, I guess.

Thanks for the response. I know they aren't very desirable locks but it has been in service for over 40 years. I hoped to repair it. Due to the lack of response here I may just take your advice. Learning to make a mainspring would likely cost more in time than a new lock, fitting and inletting.

I would send the lock to the Log Cabin in Lodi OH. The gunsmith there can repair your lock at reasonable cost.

L&R Locks may be a good place to try. They have quite a variety. Could be you could send them your lock and maybe they could fit one of their springs to it. Or they could recommend the best/closest replacement.

You've joined the crowd of people who have older rifles with locks that haven't been made in a long time and parts are no longer available. I have one with a Robbins lock, it doesn't get shot much but pray nothing breaks on it. Have 2 that I gave my Ex's grandsons that have Dixie Gun works locks, yeah back years ago they sold some nice locks but parts are no longer available. Know a couple guys who have Haddaway locks. Personally I would get in touch with Log Cabin as others have suggested. Just because it's old doesn't mean it isn't any good. Get it fixed and it will probably give you many more years of service.

L&R lumps Russ Hamm, Traditions, Jukar and all the other small Spanish locks into their "Replacement Lock" program.

I would buy a Traditions spring and see if it fits.

If it doesn't fit, return it.

Deer Creek Products sells Traditions main springs.

PS: My Traditions measures .490 from the back of the bend to the center of the pin. Those tumblers have a long bearing surface where the spring rides. It may work after a bit of grinding and fitting and polishing. I would also suggest not measuring in fractions. Measure in decimals.

Last edited:
I have a .40 with a Hamm Maslin lock I made about 1990. I too pray the mainspring lasts forever, is a great shooter. When I bought the parts from DGW, Turner Kirkland said in his catalog "if I were building a new rifle, this is the lock I would use." So I don't agree that they are not high quality.

I have a .40 with a Hamm Maslin lock I made about 1990. I too pray the mainspring lasts forever, is a great shooter. When I bought the parts from DGW, Turner Kirkland said in his catalog "if I were building a new rifle, this is the lock I would use." So I don't agree that they are not high quality.
Or he wanted to sell his locks.

Latest posts

Back