• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help me figure out a squirrel rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Caliber choice for me would depend on which way the wind blows. Not the real wind, but the wind of whim. I have 30, 32 and 36 cals, but would consider a 40 or 45 if that affected weight and balance.

At the ranges and circumstances of small game bopping, wind honestly isn't going to be that big of a factor. Sure the dinky ones drift like crazy at 100 yards, but so what? Not much drift at 25 or 30 yards, even if the critters were out and about in a gale- which they're not.

The biggest factors in my mind are weight and balance. I like the "hang" of a longer barrel for precision shooting (heads), but I'd sure prefer a swamped barrel for balance and overall weight.

In my experience, there's just a whole lot of walking and contorting in small game hunting, and I wouldn't want anything over 7#. And truthfully, if I could get the balance and hang right, I'd lean to 6#.

For squirrel hunting a 7-8# LR wouldn't be a chore to hunt with...the going is slow w/ numerous stops....anyways that's the way I squirrel hunt. A longer bbl isn't detrimental at all for squirrel hunting and in fact is an advantage.....personally, don't like muzzle light rifles seeing they're too whippy.

The actual LR construction should be of prime importance....a .40 cal because a 3/8th RR can be used and a "B" weight bbl for better wrist dims. A 42" bbl would suffice, but again personally, I prefer a minimum of 44" and my favorite is a 46" in "B" weight.

My squirrel LR is an 8-1/2#, muzzle heavy .45 flintlock and only head hits are taken....even the smaller cals. "beat up too much meat" w/ body hits. Trying to skin a body hit squirrel sometimes means you end up w/ 2 halves and a lot more work.

If'n I were to build a squirrel LR, a nice blank of red maple, a longish swamped bbl in .40 cal, and then both would be sent out for bb and RR work and also butt stock shaping from a model copied from an original ....the latter is important for a correctly shaped Lehigh which you seem to favor.... of course going this route depends on your building skills....good luck w/ your project.....Fred

I agree Pedersoli has some pretty nice fullstock longguns. They look good, and shoot better.

Cherry's Guns sells the Kentucky for: $695 (.45 & .50)

Flintlocks Etc. sells same gun for: $690 (.32, .45, .50)

Cabela's has similar gun for :$499 (.50 only)

Dixie has the Kentucky for: $750 (.32)

For $1000 you can get a TVM In-The-White gun.

I wish Cabela's would offer these guns in more calibers. They used to offer the Blue Ridge in .32 & .36 but not anymore.

In PA, 40-cal is the largest legal caliber for squirrels. I've read a lot (here and other sources) that leans me to a 40.

Lots and lots of time here on this one. It's not like I'm gonna start getting parts tomorrow...just kickin' some ideas around. I like to check something out from as many angles as possible before diving in. ;)

FWIW, a respected builder - whose name you would know but which I won't divulge - who posts on this forum from time to time; mentioned to me during a private conversation that he liked my choice of caliber. This was in reference to a new poorboy I received. He also stated that he intended to build himself a .32 for squirrels. Just saying...

tdd All of the calibers have been mentioned 32 36 38 and 40.they all have an advantage over each other.One uses less lead than the other,one can be made lighter weight than the others,one can have a bigger ram rod than the others,and they all beat a smoothbore as it takes more powder ,shot is more costly,and then you got wads and i forget what all else.

But if a smoothy is what you like than thats what you should get.Just pick one and have fun ,i dont think you will regret any one of them.And my favorite one is the 32 and 40 . Curt

"Besides a .32 and even a .36 is kind to squirrels with small game loads."

I've got a .32 for my kids and it has been named H*O*S (Hell On Squirrels). Methinks I've gotta tone the powder charge down some.

Yep! :thumbsup:

Didn't really intend for a caliber debate to honest, lol. I more was thinking about ideas on the overall build. Barrels, locks, the whole package, so to speak.

I know calibers are personal to an extent. Everyone has favorites, and they feel strongly about them. :)

In an A-weight swamped barrel, the 40 cal will give you the lightest barrel. Smaller calibers will be heavier, but provide a stiffer barrel, and better intrinsic accuracy. That becomes more of an issue the longer you go in length, and the smaller your relative target is (an 8" target at 100 yards is the same relative size as a 2" target at 25 yards).

The Lancaster / Virginia / Emmitsburg / English game rifle styling will be easier to execute in a build and feel the most like your modern guns when shouldered, while Bucks and Lehighs have the most distinctive looks to them, but let's face it, they ALL turn heads when you take them to the range and plunk down next to the black gun crowd.

I wanted a specific squirrel gun last spring. I decided on a 42 inch, straight, Ed Rayl barrel in 25 caliber. It's 3/4 inch diameter.

There is definitely some weight to it, but it'll hang out there all day and not wander. It's also rock solid when laid in the fork of a tree.

Squirrels seem to fear it.

My point is, if you want to make a change then make a big one. Go down to at least a 32.

I have a large soft spot for Berks county rifles. I think a plain jane one with maybe hex sign behind the cheek piece would be ideal.

Back