• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help identifying this Traditions rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Saw this on GunBroker. Ad says it's a 45 caliber Traditions rifle with a 33 inch barrel. Never seen anything like this from Traditions. Anyone know what it is?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231014_112949_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231014_112949_Chrome.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 8
Okay. What are the odds that's been re barreled with a Traditions barrel? Doesn't mean anything but I can't find that Traditions ever made a copy of one of these and you'd think some of you guys would know of such a thing. A search of the name on the lock plate yields many results like this.
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/don-brown-alexander-henry-replica.120810/
Not saying it's an original and it's clearly not on any level of the rifle in that thread but the barrel could be a replacement. The lock plate looks to be roll stamped so not high end replica either.

Also, that barrel appears to be a black hole.
1697319585907.png

Last edited:
It's a Traditions Creedmoor Rigby. Navy Arms also imported them at one point from what I saw. I found a thread here from a few years ago talking about it. Apparently it's a decent rifle.

Thread 'Traditions Rigby Rifle' Traditions Rigby Rifle
Were you able to find any other pics? Even with a name I can't but with black powder stuff that doesn't mean squat. That's definitely what it is. Here's another thread from here I stumbled across. If it wasn't for that bore, I'd bid on the thing. Heck of it is that may just be dried dusty oil in there.
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/long-range-muzzle-loading-again.11155/

Were you able to find any other pics? Even with a name I can't but with black powder stuff that doesn't mean squat. That's definitely what it is. Here's another thread from here I stumbled across. If it wasn't for that bore, I'd bid on the thing. Heck of it is that may just be dried dusty oil in there.
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/long-range-muzzle-loading-again.11155/
No, I can't find anything other than the post with the pictures from the graybeard forum. I found pictures from a Navy Arms rifle... looks identical. Apparently these are very rare and the owners don't sell them.

I'm seriously thinking about taking my chances on buying it.

Hope you don't outbid me!!! 😂

No, I can't find anything other than the post with the pictures from the graybeard forum. I found pictures from a Navy Arms rifle... looks identical. Apparently these are very rare and the owners don't sell them.

I'm seriously thinking about taking my chances on buying it.

Hope you don't outbid me!!! 😂
I'm not going to. Developed a taste for the flintlocks. My next project will be a .32 or.36 cal small game rifle. Good luck and I super hope if you get it a patch or two and that bore shines like no tomorrow.

pretty rare rifle to find under the traditons name. Ardesa really makes it, and they really put out some better stuff than what traditions orders usually.

Yes sir, you have got it right. It's a muzzleloading Creedmore Henry rifle. Actually in the 80s they were manufactured by a couple of artisans from Eibar (the gunsmithing city of Spain), whose workshop signed the weapons with the name of A.M.R. (initials of gunsmith Antonio Marcos Relea). He made cheap copies of Kentucky rifles and pistols and copies of Hawken rifles. For the Henry and Creedmore Models they copied two English muzzleloading rifles for shooting with a 500 grains conical bullet. The caliber is .451. The lock is a good copy of Alexander Henry's Scottish lock. It is a rifle for the Whitworth shooting, where you shoot at small guns targets at 100 meters (targets for pistol or revolver). They are rifles that have sights with a diopter and a tunnel with a ring. In Europe, Ardesa marketed these rifles (although it did not manufacture them). And in the USA Traditions imports them. They are just as good as Pedersoli's Gibbs, but much cheaper. In 1987 they cost about 40,000 pesetas in Spain, that is, less than 300 euros or dollars. The groove pitch is one turn in 20". Greetings from Spain.

Latest posts

Back