• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help identifying this Brown Bess

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whatever the deal is the seller was angry and stopped responding when I proved I can purchase a new one for less. Like I said I’d never responded at all had he priced it on Craigslist. He said it’s a “rare small batch “ or some such nonsense if I recall correctly to me used it’s just not there

he's FOS IMHO. another artist of DECEPTION. As Ld stated a kit gun parts out . Blued. I've never seen a blued Bess in the field IMHO ..... the seller is smoking something strong and WAY illegal.

He said it’s a “rare small batch “ or some such nonsense...,

So he may simply have been told that.., and as I wrote, when one points out the problems it's like telling a brand new dad his kid is butt-ugly. :rolleyes:
IF it was a "limited run" then he should've had the provenance with it..., he didn't. 🤔

There ARE repro bess out there that were part of a limited run. ;)
A Pedersoli Bess with a lock that is marked "Stowe 1776".
I have been told that Turner Kirkland, founder of Dixie Gun Works, ordered a bunch of Pedersoli muskets (maybe they were just kits) with the locks marked as such, for the Bicentennial, AND because Mr. Stowe had passed away and Mr. Kirkland considered Mr. Stowe a very dear friend. I am also told that he sold the locks by themselves too. I have seen two such Bess... one a standard Pedersoli SLP, and the other a custom made quasi 1st model, with the Stowe lock. (The Stowe lock being an SLP lock with different engraving is the wrong lock for a LLP musket..., but the owner didn't care and it was a good looking musket.)

They are just an oddity, but some of the reenactors like them. IF the guy with the OP's Bess has a Stowe musket..., the lack of the proper "Stowe 1776" marked lock removes anything special about the piece.

LD

Its a bicentenial Navy Arms Bess by Pedersoli. The trigger guard lug pin is through the lock mortise and not the bottom portion of lock panel, this is actually correct not like the current model In production. I have the same pattern bess, the only thing I changed on mine was I had a jeweler change the Lockplate from Grice to Tower, I reduced the wood around the lock and tang Slightly because when I bought the gun it had damage to it. Otherwise I didn’t go crazy on a defrab.

The coach harness bess had a much more correct stock pattern, larger butt stock and wrist And I’m not certain but I do think they were stock in English Walnut.

This doesn’t look like a coach harness bess at all. Not to mention a 46” barrel that would have Birmingham proof marks.

Back