• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help Identify__ Dog lock flintlock mechanism

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randell

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hope im in right thread this time. Hi I am new to the forum and thank the moderators for the join, Hears the story ,I found this part bout 10 years ago while tearing down and abandoned farm barn, it was inside a double wall and it looked like there was a work bench there at one time , I was wondering what year is this piece as the markings have rusted bad and I steel wooled it a bit but still cant see anything, maybe some experts on here could give me and idea it would be most appreciated,. After looking on the net for awhile , i found some looked like it but differences in some parts , im figuring it is British cause it looked pretty similar to a replica i was looking at , and it was a dog lock due to lock for hammer. Like i said i am no muzzle loader expert i have the pics best i could get Thanks...for your time.

Attachments

• IMG_0195.JPG
    IMG_0195.JPG
    200.1 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0196.JPG
    IMG_0196.JPG
    204.1 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0197.JPG
    IMG_0197.JPG
    195 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0198.JPG
    IMG_0198.JPG
    185.5 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0199.JPG
    IMG_0199.JPG
    211.1 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0200.JPG
    IMG_0200.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 59
I just handled an English doglock from the 1690s and the cock was a lot bigger, wider and flatter, so I would place that as an early 1700s English doglock. But I would defer to Dave Person as he is definitely our expert here for English arms.

Nice find. Not much specific can be learned. English flintlock with a dog. Might be from a naval musket. Lots missing.
There is writing on it but its rusted real bad , i really dont want to fack with it and ruin something.. thanks for response

I just handled an English doglock from the 1690s and the cock was a lot bigger, wider and flatter, so I would place that as an early 1700s English doglock. But I would defer to Dave Person as he is definitely our expert here for English arms.
True about Dave. But the height of the fence, pan bridle, and straightness of the lockplate lower edge also suggest 1700s to me, and possibly after 1750.

Ignoring all the naysayers I've done that with WD-40 which I usually buy by the gallon. Note, to avoid a 20 page thread I did say "your favorite penetrant" :D
Thanks for info i will give it a bath fer sure WD -40 is the bomb i put that shat on everything...

A couple of things caught my attention. First, it looks to be a bridled pan. I thought unbridled were common up until the mid 18th century?
Also, the screw on the cock just seems wrong to me- almost modern in shape. And no wear in the slot is another detail that made me wonder.
were these type of locks made up until the late 19th century for export to Africa and Middle East?
Purely conjuncture on my part, but really interesting nonetheless.

I found this part bout 10 years ago while tearing down and abandoned farm barn, ...,

That is an 18th century British Maritime Province musket lock. The bridled pan gives it away, as does the shape of the cock, and the slight tip
on the tail on the lock plate.

It's likely AWI or just after the AWI, when England was still worried about French invasion and so Bess were not in ample supply. The Maritimes are area of Canada that is today New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island. So they were scrounging for muskets. "Americans" had also invaded Canada a few years prior, so might do so again. The Continental Army was rather large, and quite close compared to European armies.

Here are two auctions with duplicate locks but with their muskets... NOTE that both examples are more than .80 caliber...
British Maritime Province Dog Lock Musket
Heavy Unmarked British Dog Lock Musket (not intact)
FYI Sweden kept the Dog Lock on their muskets into the 19th century. Perhaps as the weather in the Maritimes which is quite similar to weather in Sweden, and the Maritimes like Sweden were heavily into the fishing industry at that time, these might have been Sea muskets ???

LD

Last edited:
Back