• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Help I did it again

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw that myself today, and I am having a hard time not ordering one for myself :thumb:
You have my permission if that helps! I just bought another Pietta1851 2 weeks ago. Didn't really need it, but Natchez Shooters Supply had them on sale for for $234.95. But I did have to pay $18 shipping.

Last edited:
Dang I just got a Uberti Navy London 1851 about a month ago and was happy and figured I was good. Then stupid MidwayUSA goes and has the Pietta 1860 Army for $279 with free shipping. Who in their right mind could pass that up. A new 1860 Army shipped for less that $300, I just couldn't help myself.
I have always felt Uberti quality was much better than Pietta, thus the price difference.

I have always felt Uberti quality was much better than Pietta, thus the price difference.
If you had said that 10-15 years ago it would be a spot on statement of truth.

But over the last several years, Uberti has gone down hill and Pietta has stepped up their game.

the hierarchy as it stands
Old Uberti > Old Pietta
New Pieta > New Uberti
New Pietta =/< Old Uberti

If you find an older well maintained Uberti cherish it it is a fine piece. If you get one of their newer offerings....you should have bought a Pietta or held out for an older Uberti.

Well at present I have a 1851 Pietta Navy, a 1851 Uberti Navy London, a 1858 Pietta Remington and of course the above mentioned 18960 Pietta Army coming in soon. So this is what I have to say about the difference I can see. Of course I can only do a true comparison on the Navy's but I can speak on the quality of both makes. First the Uberti Navy in my opinion has a much nicer feel to it. It just fits the hand better. But as far as fit and finish or even over all quality I really see no difference.

If you had said that 10-15 years ago it would be a spot on statement of truth.

But over the last several years, Uberti has gone down hill and Pietta has stepped up their game.

the hierarchy as it stands
Old Uberti > Old Pietta
New Pieta > New Uberti
New Pietta =/< Old Uberti

If you find an older well maintained Uberti cherish it it is a fine piece. If you get one of their newer offerings....you should have bought a Pietta or held out for an older Uberti.
My thoughts on Pietta have changed for the positive too. My first revolver was a Pietta 1858 purchased in the late 80's. Still have it, still love it.Then about 10-11 years ago I made a trip to DGW to purchase a Uberti Leech & Rigdon and a Pietta Spiller & Burr. I handled a number of these including other models from each maker. (Luckily they are very patient folks) I was shocked at the superior fit and finish of the Uberti products. My Leech & Rigdon is still my favorite revolver. I went to DGW again about 4 years ago to buy an 1860, thinking it would be a Uberti. But after inspecting several of each brand I bought a Pietta and have been very happy with it.

A few months ago I ordered a Pietta steel 1860 from Midway.$289 at the time the lowest priced . I have it now and it is fine. .0025 end shake correct arbor fit,timing good. A bit rough feeling when cocking as expected. Tightly bored with a .445 barrel and .446 cylinder. I hope to get out very soon and shoot it.

Back