• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Please talk me out of a 1861 Navy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two of these dropped into the arbor hole did the trick for my Uberti 61 navy. View attachment 161953

This is very handy advice

Every pistol will be slightly different. What works for one may not work for another. Here’s another option for those who choose to “fix the arbor length.

1FD50278-9A8E-42DC-9B05-6EC152E5EBE3.jpeg

I just bought two revolvers an Uberti 1851 London Navy and a Pietta 1860 Army and thought I was good but I just say a Taylor and Company Uberti 18601 Navy on sale and I'm really thinking of buying it but just not sure I need another revolver. I also have an Pietta 1851 Navy and a Pietta 1858 NMA Remington.
So I need help talking me out of buying another revolver.
Sorry no help from me pal! The 1861 Navy with the brass frame in my opinion is as elegant as any Colt revolver ever made.

I’m not even sure how many I have, several 51s, couple Remmys, a 60, a Walker, a couple 61s- one a 2nd Gen Colt
Wednesday a member is bringing 15 repros and 5 Originals to the range to sell…
I hope I don’t end up with all of them!

Just a bit of off the wall info. I measured the barrels because Uberti used the same barrels for the 1860 and the 1861 just bored different sizes. I think he was correct. The measurements I got were as follows:
1860 Pieta outside diameter .675 wall thickness .128
1861 Uberti outside diameter .675 wall thickness .163
1851 Uberti and Pietta outside diameter .650 wall thickness .148
Now let me say I looked at the Pietta 1861 Navy and chose the Uberti because the Pietta 1861 has a 8.5 inch barrel. while the Uberti is the correct 7.5 inch. I didn't weight them but the 1861 does not feel barrel heavy. I don't know how the original Colts were as far as diameter but I know there weren't 8.5 inches long.

Just a bit of off the wall info. I measured the barrels because Uberti used the same barrels for the 1860 and the 1861 just bored different sizes. I think he was correct. The measurements I got were as follows:
1860 Pieta outside diameter .675 wall thickness .128
1861 Uberti outside diameter .675 wall thickness .163
1851 Uberti and Pietta outside diameter .650 wall thickness .148
Now let me say I looked at the Pietta 1861 Navy and chose the Uberti because the Pietta 1861 has a 8.5 inch barrel. while the Uberti is the correct 7.5 inch. I didn't weight them but the 1861 does not feel barrel heavy. I don't know how the original Colts were as far as diameter but I know there weren't 8.5 inches long.
I wanted to correct what I said in the second sentence.
It should have read that someone mentioned that Uberti used the same barrels. But on further examination I don’t think that’s so. The 1860 Army has an 8” barrel while the 1861 Navy has a 7.5” barrel. Both historic correct unlike Piettas 8.5” 1861 Navy.

Yes I ordered one from MidwayUSA. Price was less than a Pietta which really surprised me. Didn't get free shipping on this one but the price was too good to pass on. Someone else who bought one said it was a Taylor and Co. so we'll see when it gets in. Pics will be coming. But of course with every pistol I order I also order a new holster from Track of the Wolf and a set of Slixshot nipples.
As far as Midway and free shipping, if you can wait, they usually offer free shipping 3 or 4 times a month. I received notifications twice on free shipping last week. Love it that they include free shipping on bullets and balls if the order is over $49.

I bought one because a lady sold me her late husband's Colt for about half the value. I still don't consider myself a CB revolver fan but, somehow, I now have eight. Not addicted? Of course not! Polecat 🦨

Back