• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hello from Newtown, PA

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfanikf

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi,

Depending if you read HuntingPA you may recognize my screen name, if not, a brief introduction. As a long time fan of American history and firearms I've always been interested in muzzleloading firearms, especially flintlocks. I really had no idea until the past few years that people actually hunted with and still used them. I'm interested in getting one both as a student of history, it was my major,(though I later got a MA in Poli Sci, and a JD and I currently work as a lawyer) and of firearms, and as a desire to expand my hunting seasons. Only issue is finding one and convincing my wife its safe to store black powder in the house (or finding a friend to store it at)! I look forward to posting and finding out what to get for my first flintlock!

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Hello Ian, and welcome to the forum. As for recommending a flintlock, there are many "schools" right there in Pa. so you will have to pick one that strikes your fancy. I would suggest studying the archives here and maybe trying to find some of the books at your library or one of the on-line suppliers....Amazon, Alibris, ABE, etc.

Kapellmeister said:
Greetings from over here in the Lehigh Valley! Welcome to the MLF! Get ready for the black powder bug to bite! :hatsoff:
Thanks!

mazo kid said:
Hello Ian, and welcome to the forum. As for recommending a flintlock, there are many "schools" right there in Pa. so you will have to pick one that strikes your fancy. I would suggest studying the archives here and maybe trying to find some of the books at your library or one of the on-line suppliers....Amazon, Alibris, ABE, etc.
Thanks I'll give that a try. I think I found a book that might serve as a good intro read on my commute. http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Bla...ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&qid=1327339893&sr=1-1

From there and asking around here. I'm confident, I'll be able to find something I like after looking at the various schools!

Last edited by a moderator:
Kapellmeister said:
gfanikf said:
I'm confident, I'll be able to find something I like after looking at the various schools!

If you didn't know already, you'll find there is a Bucks Co. school! :thumbsup:

Oh I thought people meant schools of thoughts of different flintlock choices! :haha:

What place in Bucks County? Sorry to ask a question, but it's the only one I'll ask in the intro thread!

Welcome to the MLF glad to have you there are a bunch of good folks here

Welcome. I used to work in Newtown. Now I live in Lancaster County and work in Lackawanna County. My advice is:
1) join the PA Federation of Black Powder Shooters, then find your nearest shoot. I'm guessing Langhorne is the closest to you.
2) Plan on taking a trip to Dixon's in Kempton PA.

Back