• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

heating a tent in winter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mine is not period, except to say it's a wedge ( aluminum poles) from snowtrekker with a wood stoves, 10"x10"x19". works pretty good, but, I'm in Oregon. It really does boil down to location, location, location.

Its hard to beat a great big ole fat girl in bed for warmth states my buddy. My wife isn't big maybe thats why I am cold in deer camp..

In one elk camp, my buddy supplied an 8X10 Army surplus tent. We built a vestibule with 2X4's and tarps to reflect the campfire heat into the tent. I supplied a couple of bunk beds, complete with box springs and mattresses, and two Coleman space heaters. Mel brought a barn heater that pumped out 150,000 BTU's, fired with a 100 pound propane tank. Three Coleman lights kept the tent well lit.

With everything fired up, we didn't notice the three feet of snow that came down the night before opening day.

This was overkill, and was never tried again.

I tried this with a Kerosene lamp, it didn't work, alcohol about 1/3 less btu capacity than kerosene.
I bought a alcohol heater made for boats, it burns
a quart of alcohol in about 8 hours on high. The benefit of alcohol is it doesn't create carbon monoxide, rather carbon dioxide, like people exhale so the gas is not poisonous and fires extinguish with water. You can search for a Heatmate heater that is for Marine use.

I remember reading about a method of keeping warm in cold weather. The author told about digging a hole about the length of his body and a bit narrower and about 18 inches deep. He then built a fire in the pit and let it burn down to coals. He used it as his campfire while it burned down. Once it was coals, he piled the dirt back on top of it and made his bed on top. According to him, he was able to stay warm all night long and he didn't have a tent, just a couple of wool blankets and a tarp. I suppose you could do the same and then set your tent over the buried pit of coals. If you have a big tent, this wold not work but if you are using a small tent, it is a possible way to keep warm.

Wood stoves, are nice, but for simplicity, and ease of transport, I agree, a buddy heater is the way to go, however, the sound of a fire roaring in the old stove is a thing of beauty.

Back