• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

heating a tent in winter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Len Graves said:
Yup I wake up a lot at night also. I know I am not dead because my high water alarm goes off. When it gets cold out it gets hard to find the drain thingy. Getting old is just a little better than the alternative.

:rotf: I remember those nights that I thought I had to sit by the fire and drink Beer until time to go to bed. Draining when it's 30 degrees out ain't fun. :(

I spent a year living in a teepee/lodge. Open fire was cheery and gave off enough heat, but not for all night. Stove worked better, but always needed to be loaded at 3AM. Good blankets are the way to go, but the stove was good first thing in the morning when it was time to get up and get dressed. That stove was the best thing for getting coffee ready as well as taking the chill off.

One thing about spending so much time living in the lodge was that I got used to most of the chills and it didn't seem so cold anymore. My favorite bed warmer at that time was a black Lab.

I had read that the Natives living in Teepee would dig a fire pit in the center of there Teepee. Then dig a trench several feet beon the wall of there Teepee, then they would lay sticks tightly side by side. Then cover the stick trench with dirt making a sort of chimney to draw the smoke out side of the Teepee.

Sort of like this: http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid...

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand why they would do this?
The liner in combination with the smoke-hole work very well without all this need-less work. All one needs to do is adjust the smoke-flaps.

The liner in combination with the smoke-hole work very well without all this need-less work. All one needs to do is adjust the smoke-flaps.

As I said: “I had read” that the Natives living in Teepee would dig a fire pit in the center of there Teepee. Then dig a trench several feet beon the wall of there Teepee, then they would lay sticks tightly side by side. Then cover the stick trench with dirt making a sort of chimney to draw the smoke out side of the Teepee.

I have not seen this put into effect, but have read about it.

I have, spent time in a few Teepee's and I have seen that there is always a backlash of smoke in the Teepee. No matter how much flap adjusting was done.

I have even seen, in a Teepee a small wood burning stove in the center with the stove pipe run almost to the Smoke-flaps.

As for me: If I had a Teepee, I would TRY what I said above to help draw the smoke out.

I read the same thing, or at least that "some" tried this, but it wasn't to draw the smoke out. Supposedly, the benefit was to provide a method to feed fresh oxygen to the bottom of the fire, especially if the fire was in a small pit as opposed to just on top of the ground. I am still (slowly) working and trying to complete my tipi, and have not tried this trench business, but it seems like it would be more trouble than its worth to me. Then again, like I said, I haven't tried it yet so what do I know?

A dog is a great bed warmer. Mine is a mastiff/lab mix that insists on sleeping wherever I do, so it works out well. Even makes a great pillow, when he isn't using me for a pillow. Sleeps under the blanket with me on cold nights and on top on the blanket on warm nights. But at least he's not spoiled... :rotf:

To get the draft right and have little smoke choking you in the teepee, has a lot to do with the outer canvas off the ground. 4-6 inches off the ground worked for me. The liner is to be on the ground. This, along with the flaps adjusted properly, creates a venturi effect. The smoke goes right up. Flap adjustment has a lot to do with the size of the fire and wind direction and wind force. Teepee fires should be using 'sqaw wood', sticks no thicker than 3 inches. Throw in a fireplace sized log and the teepee will fill with smoke. When the fire dies down, no matter the size of the wood, the venturi quits working and you get smoke.

By the way, my dogs are not spoiled either-oh no. They just do their duty keeping me warm.

I always make sure that I have a bare female form next to mine for thermol heat for the night. Works every time. We have a stove but it always is out early in the morning. It's a fight to see who has to stoke the fire. :thumbsup:

A trick my Father told me he use to do when he was a kid.

Dad was from the State of Washington, and it was his job to keep the wood burning stove going all night.

After a good bed of hot coals were in the bottom of the stove he would place a stack of wet news paper. [5or6 I think] Then he would put a layer of wood, then another layer of wet news paper, then a Layer of wood.

He said he would fill the wood burning stove 1/2 or 3/4 full. Dad said that it would take some time for the wet news paper to dry out and start the next layer of wood to burning.

He said some times the stove would stay hot all night.

Anyway, I have never tried this, but it does sound like it should work.

Woods Dweller said:

As I said: “I had read” that the Natives living in Teepee would dig a fire pit in the center of there Teepee. Then dig a trench several feet beon the wall of there Teepee, then they would lay sticks tightly side by side. Then cover the stick trench with dirt making a sort of chimney to draw the smoke out side of the Teepee.

I have not seen this put into effect, but have read about it.

I have, spent time in a few Teepee's and I have seen that there is always a backlash of smoke in the Teepee. No matter how much flap adjusting was done.

I have even seen, in a Teepee a small wood burning stove in the center with the stove pipe run almost to the Smoke-flaps.

As for me: If I had a Teepee, I would TRY what I said above to help draw the smoke out.

With all that said, smoke DOES NOT go sideways or down to exit out of a hole at ground level (not when it can follow the path of least resistance by going UP). At best, this method provides more air to the fire as one would by using a bellows on a forge. More air = more fire = less smoke. Also, burning a fire in a hole causes more problems (and smoke) because the fire can't breathe.

One must also take into account the direction of the prevailing wind for this concept to work well.

This was the only fire we would use in Boy Scouts, if the ground was right. Two simple holes and a tunnel between. Sizes weren't critical. We would fan the air hole with a garbage can lid and melt glass. It is really the same setup as a forge.

John

I use one of these in a 9 x 12 marquee. It's quiet, doesn't stink, safe and it heats the camp great.

51MeNdw3nDL._SS400_.jpg

That's the ticket! :wink:

Only I use the single element model, pondered over the two when I made the purchase, but I opted for the smaller one to minimize fuel consumption.
Really like the idea of the low Oxygen sensor and tip over shut off's.

I got the hose and filter to run it off a big tank, an 11#`r will run it 12hr shifts for three nights, Thurs,Fri,Sat,,, perfect for the weekend vous`
I use my tripod to hang a large coffee pot of water just over the top and have plenty hot water come mornin,

Actually, the 2 tanker is nice. You can hook up 2 20# tanks and not have to worry about it. It still will only run off of 1 tank at a time and will last a good while on the low setting.

We used the buddy heater (single burner)with pretty good success this fall in our wedge tent. I am thinking of upgrading to a monster wedge and thought about getting a wood stove, but the truth is have one of those in a wedge tent isn't any more pc than the buddy heater I guess. Funny when I was in my 20's I never would've dreamed of doing this and did a few 1 blanket nights under the stars in the winter, now the cot and padding are a must as well :surrender:

necchi,I have the single element Buddy too.I used to have a 10x10 one poler and we really got a lot of moisture in the tent with the propane.I have a big wall tent now but have not tried the Buddy in it,maybe moisture will not be such a problem in a bigger shelter?Have you guys had moisture problems using propane? Thanks.

I've found that moisture thing to be specific to the weather conditions,
Temps inside and out, people breathing and with the Dew point just right.
I've had wet walls inside the tent with a wood stove too, :idunno:
Usually it forms in the morning, at the evenings coolest point just before sun-up.

But that darn single pole does have a habit of dripping just right!!

Latest posts

Back