• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hearing protection

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Boring rant about protecting your hearing and your range ahead:

Just for fun (and curiosity) I brought out my noise dosimeter to the range which is adjacent to a USFS ATV park. Been some complaints about the range from area residents and my work as a registered engineer and industrial hygienist got me wondering. In short, most ML rifles and unmentionables can peg the meter at 135 db when within 5-20 feet from source. Drops off to sub 100 with distance and sub 80 at 500 yards or so. According to experts Noise above 70 dB over a prolonged period of time may start to damage your hearing. Loud noise above 120 dB can cause immediate harm to your ears. With noise, OSHA's permissible exposure limit (PEL) is 90 dBA for all workers for an 8 hour day. My hearing is already shot from being assigned to a fighter squadron and the ringing is irreparable but manageable with $5000 hearing aids. Bottom line - really should wear some sort of hearing protection when shooting or even standing near others while they shoot. Might not hurt then but start saving $$ for future hearing aids. As for the range i found only individual shots measured up to 70 db off range and so within limits for those trying to close us down. Did same for local USFS Dune Buggy ATV park during peak use and found constant 120 dB in the park with lots of sustained 135dB exposure to riders. One wonders if USFS is liable for all those deaf kids???

Not muzzleloader related, but hearing protection related. Uncle was in his mid 80’s and a long time Marine Corps Vet. He continuously talked about how wonderful the M1 Garand was and is. On a visit with him I brought along an M1 and plenty of ammo, and arranged a place to shoot it. Believe I saw a tear or two in his eyes when I handed it to him. He coddled it like a new born. He said it was a lot heavier than he remembered one being 60 years prior as he stared at it.

Offered him ear plugs and muffs. He wanted no part of them. Suggested he remove his hearing aides and use some protection. Nope. I believe he then turned up the volume on the hearing aides as he got ready to shoot. He said he wanted to hear it all.

Often wondered how his next hearing test went.

Just got a call I guess govt has been aware of the liability unfortunately they may use it to close many areas to activities that involve high levels of sound. Told me folks are going post scamdemic nuts when it comes to outdoor activities.

I wear plugs when I'm competing but on the range as an instructor, it's active muffs. The good thing about most of the guns we shoot is they aren't nearly as hard on the ears as a modern arm. The only caveat to that is artillery. Yup, I'm wearing muffs and plugs during the artillery competition.

I use foam plugs. Last bag I bought was from Academy Sporting Goods. They had a wide selection so I took the time to read the DB rating of each brand. Was surprised by the wide range of protection. Always thought they were pretty much the same. Don’t remember the rating on the ones I bought, but they were superior to the others, even the rubber ones in the fancy cases.

I'm pretty much hearing impaired. Being around and in big noisy airplanes in the early to mid sixties as a paratrooper as well as being on the division rifle team. A few shooters put cotton or 38 special cases in their ears, I didn't. 20 years on a police dept with the siren right over your head numerous times a week. Shooting the nmc a couple times a month and practice with the service rifle during the 70's and 80's . Used rubber earplugs later in life but the hearing was already ruined. Now I use the good muffs in an attempt to keep what I have. Wisdom comes with experience but sometimes too late.

Not muzzleloader related, but hearing protection related. Uncle was in his mid 80’s and a long time Marine Corps Vet. He continuously talked about how wonderful the M1 Garand was and is. On a visit with him I brought along an M1 and plenty of ammo, and arranged a place to shoot it. Believe I saw a tear or two in his eyes when I handed it to him. He coddled it like a new born. He said it was a lot heavier than he remembered one being 60 years prior as he stared at it.

Offered him ear plugs and muffs. He wanted no part of them. Suggested he remove his hearing aides and use some protection. Nope. I believe he then turned up the volume on the hearing aides as he got ready to shoot. He said he wanted to hear it all.

Often wondered how his next hearing test went.
My brand new, VA supplied hearing aids automatically reduce noise over a certain db. They also Bluetooth from my cellphone.
I can tune in SiriusXM and stream Willies Road house while shooting my blackpowder guns. No muffs required.

I use walkers game ears both at the range and in the field. I’m deaf in one ear from a .270 being fired right next to it so the electronic muffs enhance and protect my hearing.
I bought a suppressor for use my grandson when he hunts with his .243 and even with that I make him wear electronic muffs. No way I’ll let him suffer the kind of hearing damage I have.

The VA provided me with a tinnitus canceling device that connects to speakers in a pillow. Seems to work. actually seems to work too well. Sleeping so soundly it hard to wake up.

Last edited:
I'm with everyone else here. Rt ear is 60% gone, Left is not as bad. Shooting from 5 yrs old and then sound tech for bands during the70- 80s. Now it has progressed into Menaire's Disease so I am very careful now and constantly tell my work crew to use hearing protection. It's not fun and am looking at the big $ for aids maybe this year. Sorry I didn't hear what you said is getting old. LOL

For you penny pinchers out there, for some reason, the foam ear plugs in the part of Wally world that sells guns are priced higher than the EXACT SAME PRODUCT sold in the pharmacy section as a "sleep aid". Next time you're in a Wally mart, check it out.

I have Lots of hearing loss (mainly higher end) from rock and roll, working in a machine shop and shooting handguns. It is amazing how much you miss out on without knowing it...especially TV, group conversations, etc. Once I got my HA, it was like a whole new world. I have high quality hearing aids which do have a damper, but they absolutely are not a substitute, or close to it...for hearing protection. Ideally, muff types. I have now gotten very protective to be sure I dont lose any more. I spend a lot of time at the range, and shoot in the league, It was certainly worth the money to get a pair of electronic ear muffs that have a high sound reduction ratio, but also amplify spoken words so you can hear normally when you have them on. Makes things much easeir at the range.

I served as a navigator (quartermaster) on a navy destroyer off the coast of Vietnam. My duty station was on the ship's bridge, directly behind number one gunmount. Day and night we provided naval gunfire support for our troops on shore; BAM, BAM, BAM. The concussion of the big guns would rattle the windows in the pilothouse and knock down ceiling insulation in the compartments below decks.
We were never given any hearing protection. We could stick our fingers in our ears, or tear the filters off cigarettes and stuff them in our ears.
I experienced some hearing loss and developed tinnitus.
I followed my navy time with a career in law enforcement. Part of my duties was as a firearms instructor. I always wore hearing protection while at the shooting range. However, one time I was giving a safety lecture while surrounded by other officers at the range. Dingledorf got behind me and thought it would be funny to fire off a .357 magnum round into the air close behind my head.
Well, I couldn't hear much as my ears rang for three days!
I kicked Dingledorf off the range that day, but unfortunately I didn't have the authority to do anything more.
Today I wear hearing aids. (Yes, the VA has helped and compensated me both for hearing loss and also exposure to Agent Orange)
I don't wear hearing protection while I'm hunting, but I certainly do whenever I'm at the firing range.

Hearing aids are great but for those of you who do not have them yet is try to save your hearing, Hearing aids are a very poor solution to actual hearing, noisy dining areas etc. and you will wish you could get your hearing back.

Back