• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hawken Worth

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I made it I'd ask at least 3K for it.

There's your answer. There is a premium associated with the Mike Brooks' name however, because he's a known builder WITH a name. It'd be interesting speculation to name a price for the gun if Mike made it in another 150 years.

Frizzens can easily be re-faced on a wheel to be made to look new again. Apart from those, and stock dings, it's hard to tell what is a "new" gun, and what is a used one.

Now as far as pricing it's all about where your trying to sell it. If it's in my area of Northern Michigan it's a serious gamble in deed. You'd be lucky to get $500 for it. Because everyone wants an inline..I know pathetic.
Likewise, out here in Utah the inline have all, but taken over. I have never been a buckskinner, but my true love of hunting has been traditional muzzleloaders. I have a couple of unmentionable ML's and do like to shoot the 209 powder, but here in Utah they(in-lines) are killing the sport we knew in the 70's. Our Wildlife Board with their better wisdom, included all muzzleloaders which is every high-tech gun and high-tech add-on available to man. Every Tom, Dick, or Harry now MLoads. It makes me sick what it has become. I doubt we will every get rid of the in-lines (to much money in equipment). They finally undid one thing though, which was eliminate the power scope. Now you can only have a 1X scope, peep sights or regular open sights and nothing electronic such as built in range finders. I have noticed a return by some of the old ways and away from the in-lines. They now want the challenge of that old style traditional ML. I am hoping that one day all in-lines will be outlawed for that special hunt of Big Game here in Utah.

If enough sportsmen raise a ruckus they may modify things to mimic what ID does, which is to specify that ignition systems be externally visible, or hammer / cock instigated. To my knowledge all of the present in-line systems are striker fired.

If enough sportsmen raise a ruckus they may modify things to mimic what ID does, which is to specify that ignition systems be externally visible, or hammer / cock instigated. To my knowledge all of the present in-line systems are striker fired.
Not likely. Inlines are big business and most hunters prefer them. Sad but true.

Nice wood with incredible figure. Smooth satin finish. Fine weapon. Cannonball1's skill is a worthy goal.

Last edited:
That gun is real purty. If I were younger and could enjoy owning such a fine work of art for more years, it would be a pleasant thing to grace my home. As a decidedly old person with predictably few years left and no shooting friends left alive, even if I had the funds, such works need to go to younger people.

Basic marketing problem - when you're young and can enjoy such, you have no money. When you're old and have money, there's no point in doing so.

Congratulations on a job well done.

You know....
The question is mute.

Did anybody catch that the OP has no intention of ever selling this rifle?

We could say it’s worth millions or 10 bucks. It really makes no difference,

You know....
The question is mute.

Did anybody catch that the OP has no intention of ever selling this rifle?

We could say it’s worth millions or 10 bucks. It really makes no difference,
You bring up probably the key point, he’s building traditional muzzleloaders for his heirs, but only those who can appreciate and respect his gift to them. That “value” is not measured in dollars.

There are some very talented craftspeople on this forum who are building as their livelihood. And that’s great for them. But Cannonball 1 wants to pass on something else.

Back