• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hawken Worth

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannonball1

40 Cal.
Reaction score
This Hawken was made at the end of last year. It is a 58 caliber with a 31" barrel, similar to one of Kit Carson's gun and it has had a dozen shots fired thru it so it becomes a used gun. This Rice barrel shoot exceedingly well. The question is could a no-name maker even re-coup the money for the parts listed? What is the guess of the guns worth?
Ty1.jpeg
2024 HAWKEN COSTS.jpeg
Ty3.jpeg

If you say so! You're in the know. What I have seen unless the maker has a name, the gun is just worth the parts, if that. I was wondering if that seems to be correct. Certainly this would be an opinion from the forum members who have an idea. Nothing concrete, no experts needed. Just wondering from MLers who have purchased a USED custom ML and I do realize it certainly depends on quality. It is an unspoken fact the the majority of members know the difference.

Last edited:
For the record I do not find this question insulting in the least.

On consignment it could do quite well but the seller gets a huge chunk of the money. When I started building spec guns in 1980 -1985 I sold several on consignment. It bugged me that the shop got 1/4 to 1/3 of the final price but it kept me building.

There’s one way to find out what you can get and that is to put it up for sale.

Right now the market is influenced by the high quality, ready to assemble kits available and rumored to be forthcoming. Get it while you can. If you want to build for sale, build a lot to develop skill and a name. Everyone with a “name” as a builder earned it the hard way.

The best way to make more out of building Hawken rifles is to accurately recreate specific originals, and not the commonly known ones. But then you’re building 9-12 pound guns! A Hawken rifle that is a compilation or amalgam of what the shop made over the years is to some extent redundant. Cool, but has been done so many times. That creates a price ceiling. The top Hawken builders have an original in their hands at some point in the creation of a new one.

There are a few all-rounder name builders. That used to be common but is rarer now. Many to most specialize now.

It is absolutely insulting to our forum members that you ask here for valuation..
They are basically asked only for re-sale.
If you have any experience, then you would know that each piece would need physical presentation for any request for value.
Attempting to find value with only photo rep's to use as marketing(?) Seeking a validation to share?
Insulting to any valid experience.
What?

Absolutely, a well-built muzzleloader should be worth more than the cost of the parts even if the builder isn't known. And I'm not suggesting that this gun wouldn't be worth $1200 (I barely looked at the photos and there are only 2 of them), but I just added up the cost of the parts listed and came to $760 plus $20 freight. It does appear to be well-made at first blush and I don't think anyone who was in the market for a very similar rifle would hesitate to pay a grand or more for it (assuming the parts are/were just under $800).

It is absolutely insulting to our forum members that you ask here for valuation..
They are basically asked only for re-sale.
If you have any experience, then you would know that each piece would need physical presentation for any request for value.
Attempting to find value with only photo rep's to use as marketing(?) Seeking a validation to share?
Insulting to any valid experience.
Well, I don't feel insulted. I am glad to have seen your rifle, and I would be glad to own this beautiful gun based on the photos posted. I have only a few years experience compared to some people here, so I suppose some would say I have no 'valid experience'. But that is not the issue, no one is here to score points. I reckon I can judge this when compared to, say, a vanilla Investarm Hawken (such as I own). The quality of the wood used in the stock is very apparent. Something like this would happily sell quickly for 1600.00 Euros (1741.00 dollars) over here.

I’m not insulted. This is a forum, a place for discussion. If I don’t want to participate I just move on.

I don’t think you could build a proper Hawken without laying out $1,200 or more for parts. Time and labor costs are largely dependent on the builder’s experience and skill, and how much he (or she) values that time. With that said, I think $1,800 - $2,000 is a fair asking price for a proper Hawken that has been test-fired but not really used, from a lesser-known builder. The price goes rapidly north if an established builder (Selb, Browner, Parker…) put his name on it.

Just looking at the two photos of the subject rifle, I think it’s a high quality build. The finish work on the wood and especially the metal is impeccable, the figure in the stock is outstanding, and the carving and inletting are excellent. Rice barrels are top o’the line.

If somebody paid $1,800 for it, regardless of the builder’s name, I think he would be getting a very good deal. $2,000 would be reasonable. Frankly, this particular rifle is probably worth more, but I doubt you would get it.

That’s my strictly amateur, nonprofessional opinion. I am not an expert, by any means.

I would suggest reversing the wedges, if they are not captured. Original Hawken wedges had the heads on the left. I would also be interested in the brand or maker(s) of the lock, triggers, and breech, if you don’t mind sharing that.

That’s a dandy Hawken.

Notchy Bob

Maker name or not, so much depends on the components, and the quality of the build. Your rifle looks well made, great stock, premium barrel etc. The Hawken is a tough gun to build in it's own right. It's really hard to add all that labor into the selling price. Some things I like about your rifle, and some things I don't. That is just personal preference however. Anyhow that is a darn nice gun! I would throw an estimate in a PM, but would need to know more.

Back